We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail from Tralee to Tipperary

Seattle
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
rail from Tralee to Tipperary

We are trying to get from Tralee to Tipperary and am a little confused on the rail connections. Does anyone know the easiest way to accomplish this. Several sources indicate different routes. thanks, mona

Mentioned in this post
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

What part of Tipperary if its Thurles or Tipperary Town you will have no trouble. Tell me the town and i will help

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

If it is Tipperary Town you are trying to get to , it would be the Limerick Junction station you would be looking for . This is just over a mile out of the town but you can get a taxi in from Redicans taxi service , you will see a house to your left as you come out of the station with their name on it . I know my daughter had to change at Mallow when she travelled to and from Kerry last summer so I presume this would still be the case :)

regards Deedee

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

The main rail line from Tralee to Dublin passes through Tipperary. There are some direct trains, but mostly you have to change in Mallow.

In Tipperary, Templemore, Thurles and Limerick Junction (handy for Tipperary town) have stations on the line. Carrick on Suir, Clonmel and Cahir have connections at Limerick Junction as does Tipperary town if you want to get right to the town. Roscrea and Nenagh can be accessed by changing at Ballybrophy (although you might find a bus to Limerick and another bus on from there handier). Cashel is not on the rail network and you'd have to do the last bit by bus, either from Thurles or Cork.

Mentioned in this post
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

If its one of the smaller towns not listed above, you might be better getting the bus. But it really depends on where in Tipp you're going to. Tipp is the largest inland county and is very long.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,702 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

Some useful maps here:

http://www.irishrail.ie/map-ireland.jsp

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=120&n=150

And, Regional Services by County in this Bus Eireann link might help also:

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=256

Seattle
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

What we are really trying to do is spend about 1/2 day in the area near the Old Cappa bridge about 5 km south of Tipperary town. We are thinking of staying in Limerick overnight, arranging some kind of transportation the next day to this location, then going back to Limerick for the night and on to Dublin the next day. The problem is, we are not surew how to manage the transportation from Limerick to south of Tipperary for that day. Does this make sense? Do you have any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

I can't find this anywhere on a map. The only place I can find is a lot further south than your description.

If its just south of Tipperary Town, then get a bus to Tipperary from Limerick (it gets you to the town) and then get a taxi from Tipp Town to the location.

Any chance you could provide a map link please.

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,702 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

Bean,

Is this the Cappa Old Bridge you located?

Cappa Old Bridge is mentioned in this fishing-related article as being on the Aherlow River, under the paragraph headed New Bridge - Cahir.

fishinginireland.info/trout/south/suir.htm

A map of the Aherlow River shows Cappa Old Bridge and Cappa New Bridge towards the top left-hand direction of this map:

knockmealdownactive.com/wp-content/uploads/2…

www.knockmealdownactive.com/category/fishing/

Map of Co Tipperary:

http://www.nenagh.ie/county_map.htm

@shulld:

If you fill in Tipperary in this web site under county, it will bring up all the townlands in the county, among which are many with some form of Cappagh - the more usual form of Cappa - both pronounced the same:

http://www.seanruad.com

If you are visiting for the purposes of family history (rather than, say, for fishing!), maybe some other information you have will direct you to the correct townland.

www.southtippheritage.ie/Research/Links/

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

Thats the one I found Uasal and its a bit of a drive from Tipp Town.

If it is the place then the OP would be best served by getting to Limerick (bus is probably best) then taking the Limerick to Waterford bus and getting off in Cahir and getting a taxi from there.

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,702 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rail from Tralee to Tipperary

It about 5 miles from Tipperary town to Bansha and looks like almost another 5 to Cappa. Looks closer to Cahir, as you say.

I came across a Farmhouse B&B in Cappa and its address is Cappa, Cahir.

Get answers to your questions about Tipperary