We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff to Hay on Wye

Which Hay-on-Wye hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cardiff to Hay on Wye

I will be staying in Cardiff in October and would like to take a day trip to Hay on Wye, is the train/bus the only options or are you aware of any tour groups that venture to Hay on Wye?

4 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff to Hay on Wye

Hello Organic Shoes,

I cannot say whether any day tours will coincide with your visit to Cardiff. Bit of a long shot, I'd say. Otherwise you get to Hay-on-wye from Cardiff via either Brecon (bus, bus) or Hereford (train, bus). Can't say which is quicker door-to-door, but the bus interchange in Brecon is 2 minutes from the centre of town with much to offer if you have to wait for your connection. Hereford train station is a mile or so from its centre. If you're really keen though, you could get an early train to Abergavenny and pick up the Offa's Dyke footpath to Hay, about 20 miles distant, via Capel-y-Ffin, Llanthony and Hay Bluff! Given the travel time by public transport you may wish to consider an overnight stay in Hay-on Wye. On my last visit I stayed at Rest For The Tired B&B. Really comfortable, welcoming hosts, and a good breakfast. It's above one of the bookshops. Plenty of others too of course. Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Garry

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff to Hay on Wye

Further to my last post to this thread. From Cardiff to Brecon is by coach, route T4.

Garry

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff to Hay on Wye

Thanks so much for the information!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,192 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff to Hay on Wye

The quickest route according to http://www.traveline-cymru.info/ for a random Wednesday in September appears to be train to either Abergavenny or Herford and then the bus. Bus and coach only options take 3.5 hours.

Reply to: Cardiff to Hay on Wye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted