We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do and Restaurants

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do and Restaurants

Hello

I have booked a stay at a hotel in Buxton this weekend, and as I have never been before would like to know things myself and my partner can see and do close to Buxton?

I have heard Chatsworth is worth a visit, also my partner loves walking and seeing beautiful scenery, is there anywhere in particular anyone would reccomend?

Also, if anyone could reccomend nice pubs/restaurants close to Buxton that are reasonably priced this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Louise

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do and Restaurants

Walking + beautiful scenery = everywhere around here

There are spectacular views from a couple of roads in the area, particularly High Lane (A5004 to Whaley Bridge) and the Cat & Fiddle (A54 to Macclesfield)

As for walking and lovely scenery, try Monsal Dale (valley of the River Wye between Millers Dale and Monsal Head, there are walks along and around the river) 10 minutes down the A6

Or Castleton, about 15 miles away - more great views on the journey there, once you get there there are tons of walks, a castle, caves, and a pretty (if touristy) village

SLightly further away, Dovedale (between Milldale & Ilam) is the classic "White Peak" valley/gorge

Chatsworth is fantastic and the park surrounding it is huge (you go through it on the main B6012). Bakewell, nearby, is a nice market town

Dunno about restaurants in Buxton itself, but I think you'll find plenty of choice.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do and Restaurants

The Beehive at Coombs north of Buxton has good food and a lovely valley.

I agree about Monsal Head, there is a pub and car park at the top of the hill and it will be busy.

You could also try the Lathkill Hotel at Over Haddon for walking, lunch and views.

From Buxton there is a good walk across the Cavendish golf course, get the guide from the Tourist Information Centre.

buxton, derbyshire
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do and Restaurants

Short five minute drive from edge of Buxton to picturesque Goyt Valley for a choice of seven circular walks of varying length and difficulty/ease.

The Church Inn at Chelmorten serve good pub food. I agree that the Beehive Inn at Combs is also excellent but would advise booking at either as they are frequented by the locals (always a good sign)

Pooles Cavern in Buxton is walkable from the centre and you can walk through Grinlow woods up to Solomons Temple which overlooks the town. If you want some treetop fun - Go Ape is accessed from the same car park as Pooles Cavern

Have fun

4. Re: Things to do and Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 07:19