We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Topic
Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Does anyone know the cost of a bus fare from Manchester Airport to Buxton?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

You need bus route 199 operated by Bowers Coaches which takes just over 1 and a half hours direct from Manchester Airport to Buxton. Phone them to check fares: 01298 - 812204

You can also take the train which takes a similair time to the bus and requires one change at Manchester Piccadilly. A single on the train costs £14.80, day return is £15.10 or period return is £22.60.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Thank you. I have tried looking online for the fares but they are not listed as far as I can see.

I have looked at the train timetable but there is only one train per hour to Buxton so if I just miss one it is a long wait and lengthens the journey after an over 24 hour flight.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Bus companies don't usually put fares online, you need to phone them. It will only be a few pounds anyway.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

I would budget for about £5.00-£6.00.

Bowers Coaches are now called "High Peak Buses" and if you visit their website at www.highpeakbuses.com, on the front page there is a section where you can ask them about fares.

Phil-the-Bus

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Thank you everyone. It cost me GBP5 to Buxton. You buy the tickets on the bus. It was an easy journey.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Wow, a lot cheaper than the train then.

And probably less hassle !

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Hello again Lusoti, thanks for getting back to us, it's useful to know the fare for future reference!

It certainly seems like a very good way of getting from Manchester Airport to Buxton.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

Its fine the first time you use it but after 2 or 3 goes one tends to get weary of the slow progress through the suburbs of Stockport !

P-t-B

Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

I travelled to Buxton on the bus on occassions the Transpeak bus from Manchester and the 199 now called High Peak buses. I found that the Transpeak bus from chorton bus depot Manchester was better as this bus more a less goes straight through to Buxton and vice versa to Manchester. The 199 is very slow especially during Peak times and the bus does get very busy. If travelling with luggage I imagine this may be a squeeze with limited space.

Derby, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus fare Manchester Airport to Buxton

It's a problem now that High Peak are running the service. We had a trial run from Derby asking 3 drivers the return fare to Manchester Airport. Three different answers and on the day the driver wasn't sure what ticket to issue. At least when Trent Barton ran the service you could by a Zig-Zag Plus and know what you were paying.