We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering in Salcombe

Which Salcombe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northampton
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering in Salcombe

I am looking for a self catering property with nice views for week comm 22nd October. I know it is half term, but they all seem very expensive. Is Salcombe particularly expensive?

I have been looking at Cornwall, but read an article about Salcombe recently and thought it sounded lovely.

Any comments? Is it like Padstow?

18 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Salcombe is fantastic. Just what the seaside should be like. Unspoilt and great for kids. But it is a bit pricey! Have a look at www.coastandcountry.co.uk who still have availablity.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Salcombe is a bit expensive to be honest and views will come at a price where ever you go though. If budget is a concern (as it is for most of us!) then a place without views will be cheaper and you can still find some great places in central locations. You will just need to step out of your front door to enjoy the views.

Dartmouth is for me much nicer (and cheaper) with just as much to do and see for all ages.

I would completely second yamdrachir's suggestion of Coast and Country Cottages they cover both Salcombe and Dartmouth as well as the surrounding areas.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Some of the best beaches in the UK, absolutely brilliant for kids, just a five minute ferry ride opposite Salcombe. No need to use the car! Dartmouth's nearest decent beach, Blackpool Sands, is 15 mins away, and expensive for parking.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Blackpool Sands is odd on when it charges and when it doesn't. I guess that comes down to it being privately owned!

Some October half terms they charge and some they don't. From memory it is £5 all day when they are charging. Which if you are going to the Mill Bay Car park if you driving to those beaches opposite Salcombe is cheap!

It is nice to visit different beaches and places, the beaches opposite Salcombe are lovely at low tide especially, Blackpool Sands does not lose so much beach at high tide but it is a different type of beach.

If beaches are your thing then look at this site http://www.lovingthebeach.co.uk/ it has details of the East Portlemouth, Blackpool Sands and Bigbury beaches (all favourites) Bantham Beach (£2 to park if they are charging) is also lovely.

This is the Dartmouth Tourist info site http://www.discoverdartmouth.com/ and this is the Salcombe one http://www.salcombeinformation.co.uk/ so you can get an idea of their different styles and appeals.

For me either is better than Cornwall but that is just imho

northampton
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

No beaches aren't my thing at all, just like nice walks and a lovely view. Think will stick to Cornwall, but thank you for all your replies

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Hope you have a good time in Cornwall!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Hi,

We lived in Cornwall for 10yrs and loved it but Salcombe is our new love for fabulous walks, views and not so many people. The coast is fab but so are the inland places so you dont need tostay IN Salcombe but Kingsbridge for instance where you can get to lovely places easier in all directions. Let us know how you get on. I dont blame you for going back to where you know but give South Hams a go sometime. You wont regret it!!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

South Hams over Cornwall every time for me !

Google Hope Cove - there's some lovely houses with great views for rent there.

Mike

northampton
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

Its me again, yes we went to Mevagissey and yes we loved it as much as ever. Thinking about this year now though and Salcombe seems ever dearer, so thinking about Brixham.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering in Salcombe

We had planned to stay in Brixham last year but the property we wanted wasn't available so we settled on a day trip instead. Thank goodness we didn't stay there! The main shopping street was full of tat and the dominant amusement arcade on the harbour front was an abomination.

It does look like Brixham is trying to upgrade but it's got a long way to go!

Reply to: Self catering in Salcombe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted