We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ross on Wye days out

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ross on Wye days out

I am planning a long weekend - four days in Ross on Wye for a party of all adults in June - Can anyone suggest things to do and see?

UK
Level Contributor
991 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Hi

There is lots to see and do - can you give some idea of your interests ?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Tintern Abbey

Newent Bird of Prey Centre

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Thanks Mr Cellophane. Buzze we are a party of adults from 50 - 70 years old all reasonably fit so walks are good. We have a variety of interests historic buildings, boat trips, (I understand there are some - which are best?) In fact anything that would help me plan three good days out would be really helpful.

Also can you recommend any good pubs and restaurants for evenings? Thanks.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Sorry I can't help that much. I will have another think over the next few days. Unfortunately last time I was in Ross, I was working near-by and didn't get to my hotel until nearly 3 am and finished early enough the next day to be able to get home.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Quite amazing for a forum like this that replies have been, not to put too fine a point on it, virtually useless.

For example, why has no-one mentioned the Forest of Dean. For folk interested in the countryside and walking, small interesting towns like Cinderford, the Forest of Dean steam railway - There's enough here for a long weekend. Symonds Yat is also a must see while you are in the area. And if there's not enough for you in the Forest of Dean, the towns of Hereford, Monmouth and Chepstow are worth a visit, and the tour of the black and White villages of Herefordshire.

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Thanks Aardvak 10 - this was just the sort of thing I wanted - looking forward to our visit.

UK
Level Contributor
991 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Hi

Sorry for the delay

The Forest of Dean as suggested is one possibility - with some good marked paths and also good cycle trails . Have a look at

www.forestofdean-sculpture.org.uk - this is a marked trail which starts from Beechenhurst Lodge. Bike hire is available within the area and we use Pedal a Bike Away . There is also Dean Heritage centre where you can learn more about the history of this area.

Hereford city is another possibility . The cathedral is open daily and has the Mappa Mundi / Chained Library exhibition. Tours within the cathedral are held twice a day. www,herefordcathedral.org. My personal favourite within the cathedral is the Stanbury Chapel - which is tiny with the most beautiful stained glass windows. Whilst in Hereford you could also visit the Old House -an ancient black and white timbered building right in the centre, free entry . Opposite the main entrance to the cathedral across the green is a narrow pedastrian street with some good shops and a number of cafes . TheStewing Pot is very good - wwwstewingpot.co.uk. Walking down to the river from the cathedral towards the old bridge will lead to the Left Bank - restaurant , cafe, ice cream parlour and bars with some shopping. Within Herefordshire you can also follow a drive " The Black and White Village Trail" which takes you to some of Herefords most beautiful villages- a google search will provide more details.

If you decide to visit Symonds Yat - follow the signs to the East side - this will lead down to a deadd end - There are some pubs. Parking is available . A nice walk is to follow the river path down stram passed the rapids where you may see canoeists practising until you reach a footpath - cross here and head back upstream - you will pass the Rose Gardens tea shop and may decide to stop. Continuing walking up will lead to the rope ferry and you can cross back to your starting point . ( it might be wise to check ferry running )

You can also walk / drive to Yat Rock - where there is a viewing point and you may sight the Peregrine Falcons - views are spectacular.

Other places worth visiting are Monmouth , Hay on Wye,- good walking on Hay Bluff - great drive along a one track round from Hay to Capel Y Ffin - you can park - admire the views or walk up to Hay Bluff , Chepstow - castle - if you travel to Monmouth then take the road to Chepstow you will pass Tintern Abbey , Abergavenney

Much Marcle - Westons Cider Museum - for tasting / cream teas - Walk up on Marcle Ridge - spectacular views.

Ross itself of course deserves exploration . Some of the villages along the Wye between Ross and Hereford also - Hoarwithy, Fawley , Brockhampton

Food - Many pubs have food of a high standard- some you might want to search more info on

The Stagg, Titley - North Herefordshire - fairly long way but people travel to it from all over the UK

Lough Pool ,Sellack

Bell, Skenfrith

Skirrid Inn, Skirrid

Cottage of Content , Carey

Harp, Hoarwithy

Mill Race , Walford, Ross

The 3 Crowns Ullingswick

Butchers Arms and Crown both in Woolhope

Well sorry leghty but hope useful - if you have any qus please post again - I will get back to you altho it might not be immediately

UK
Level Contributor
991 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Well Aardvak

I tried - ...

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ross on Wye days out

Well done Buzze, excellent contribution!!

UK
Level Contributor
991 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ross on Wye days out

;0)

Get answers to your questions about Ross-on-Wye