We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visitors to ross-on-wye

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
visitors to ross-on-wye

On a recent trip to South Wales My husband and I stopped off in Ross-on-Wye to partake of Sunday lunch. As Yorkshire people we had never visited Ross-on-Wye but the name was well known to us as a place of local beauty and we were very keen to visit , The town centre, although hilly, was very interesting and after asking someone to recommend a restaurant we entered the Kings Head and gave our order. Sunday lunch of the finest Cotswold beef, We were served very quickly. and on each plate there were 2 slices of beef and a Yorkshire pudding. The vegetables were served in a separate dish. We could not cut the fine Cotswold beef and on receiving a steak knife the piece I tried to eat was dreadful. I have heard of rubbery beef and this was grade 1. The portions of vegetables served were not even large enough for one person and also not cooked, and the Yorkshire pudding had a skin an inch thick which no hopeful eater could ever cut into. I complained to the waitress who took away the unfinished meal and asked me what I would like as a replacement. I asked for the chicken. This never arrived, so we ended up paying £7.95 each for a trip to the toilet and a drink each. I would like to suggest that the local butchers of Ross-on-Wye buy our own Yorkshire beef, which is delicious and the proprietor of this establishment get a qualified chef and also tatse the fare that they are serving.

10 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

Welcome to Tripadvisor. Great name!

I have had some rubbish roast beef and YPs in Yorkshire, but I wouldn't write off the whole county because of them.

thanks for the warning abut the Kings Head. Just shows its not always wise to take a local's advice!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

Hey there - don't link "rip-off" food to Wales! I'm sorry you got ripped off. However, Ross on Wye is in England! Pity you hadn't joined this forum before you travelled as I am sure you could have had loads of suggestions about where to eat genuine good food, both for your visits to England and Wales. We have just returned from a trip through western Wales and had a marvellous time in terms of food qualitY. However we also saw a fair share of rubbish places in Wales too! Ask before you travel!!!

Edited: 16 August 2010, 22:05
hsj
London, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

Really sorry that you had a bad experience eating in Ross - I lived there for 6 years - and I could recommend lots of fantastic country pubs for Sunday lunch - but must admit that I have never eaten in the Kings Head......

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

My wife and I have returned from an excellent holiday in the Ross o w and both wish to compliment the quality and variety of locally rescourced food and drink. One may be unlucky in any town / county the trick is not to judge on only one poor establisment or experience.

Another Yorkshire couple

Hereford
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

A recommendation from a knowledgeable local resident is very welcome and helps the Kings Head prosper in these difficult times. We are sorry the reviewer didn't enjoy their Sunday lunch.

Our roast beef is free range topside which comes from a highly rated local butcher and is cooked medium rare. Our vegetables are also mostly local, Herefordshire, and are not overcooked or undercooked but cooked precisely, so that they still retain their goodness and flavour.

Both the Chef and the owner are qualified and being a little grey in the hair have had many years experience.

The customer was offered an alternative dish for one of the roast beefs, the other being presumably acceptable, and chose a chicken dish . The kitchen was informed and the chicken was cooked as speedily as possible. Our chicken breasts are cooked from raw to order, and so they do take around 15 to twenty minutes to cook, unlike the beef which is slowly cooked before service and carved to order.

Unfortunately the guests couldn't wait got up and decided to leave just as the Chef was plating up the chicken and finishing the sauce. I personally checked the beef which was both tender and tasty.

We do not rip off our guest and for roast beef with fresh vegetables, real gravy and even home made bread to start at £7.95 is we feel a fair price. We certainly do not make money out of cooking two dishes for them to end up in the bin.

As with all places things can and will go wrong and when they do we apologise and try and remedy them as soon as we can.

6. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 18:35

Gateshead, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

The best food in Ross is Yaks n Yeti's and we stayed at a lovely place:

http://www.pilgrimhotel.co.uk which was really good too. Give Ross another try.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

Best Indian restaurant is Ross-on-Wye's latest, the Balti Sizzler Restaurant & Takeaway - stunning food, real value for money and you can bring your own beer or wine. Try it between Monday & Wednesday for their £8.95 five-course menu - superb.

Crowborough
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

I would like to mention our brief stay Ross on Wye. My wife and I stayed at the Riverside Inn this week. We had arrived by canoe having paddled in the rain all day from Hoarewithy. We were wet and cold. The welcome was warm but after that our stay deteriorated. The guest room was dirty, poorly furnished and maintained with electrics hanging off the wall and an en-suite that had not seen bleach for a while. Windows did not fit or were missing fittings.The TV did not work, cables and wires hung off the wall or snacked across the floor. Ther was no heating (the rab tried but failed) The tea making facility contained a sachet dated Feb 2011. The full breakfast was declined as we were not sure if the kitchen hygiene was up to it, the unswept floors in the dining room, sticky tables from the night before and flies hovering constantly made us suspicious. Did I mention it cost £60 for the pleasure? Traveller beware!

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visitors to ross-on-wye

I have eaten in this hiotel numerous times and it always has been excellent.

Reply to: visitors to ross-on-wye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ross-on-Wye