We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 Open

Which Lytham St Anne's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
2012 Open

Hoping to visit this event on Sunday 22nd July,I'm getting no train information into Lytham station for that day,any ideas please guys?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 Open

I've just done a check on national rail and timetable info is coming up - is that what you're having problems with?

Not sure where you are coming from but a search from Preston shows trains at 10.32/11.30/12.30 etc. 22 mins to Lytham station or 26 mins to Fairhaven and Ansdell Station (direct access to the course).

Otherwise Blackpool transport are putting on special bus service from Blackpool North: www.blackpooltransport.com/OpenGolf2012.aspx

Hope this helps.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2012 Open

I've been using the Train Line for the journey,trying both from Chester & Liverpool,from past experience I've seen that when part of the rail network is not in use for any reason this system tends to say no trains available,it happened to us once before when we were going to the NEC,the direct line from Liverpool was closed for maintenance meaning going via Manchester but instead of showing that it just showed no trains available,needs more work,thanks for that dennis!

Blackpool, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2012 Open

You're welcome.

Just checked and trains are showing from Chester on the Sunday and the only warning is to expect it to be busy for the Open but for the day before its showing up part of the journey will be by bus so perhaps thats what's causing it on Trainline?

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2012 Open

sorry, the above post is still me, TA seems to have another id for me sometimes!

I was going to add, if the Lytham bound train is expected to be so busy the option of going to Blackpool North and then getting the bus might be a better option to consider.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 18:14
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2012 Open

Thanks again dennis,I've checked that out & it seems a good idea,cheers!

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2012 Open

Hi, This information is from The Open Championship website.

"The Open Championship at Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club will be served by Ansdell & Fairhaven Station. This station is adjacent to the 9th green. While some on-course spectator facilities will be available in this area, the Clubhouse and Tented Villages are approximately 1.5 miles from the station.

Ansdell & Fairhaven Station is on a single track railway line between Preston and Blackpool South. From Wednesday 18 to Sunday 22 July inclusive, a dedicated service from Preston will terminate at Ansdell, with a rail replacement bus service then serving stations between Ansdell and Blackpool South. Given the nature of the railway infrastructure available, only a limited service can be provided.

Trains with a capacity of approximately 400 passengers will operate a half-hourly service. Significant delays may be experienced at busy times, particularly at the end of play on Championship days. Passengers connecting onto long distance trains at Preston should allow extra time and leave the course early."

theopen.com/en/…TravelToTheCourse.aspx

Good luck!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2012 Open

Thanks for your help folks!

Cannock, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2012 Open

where is teh best place to park?

lytham uk
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2012 Open

Official parking is provided near to the course if you follow the temporary signposts that have been put up, it will direct you there. I'm not sure of the costs, sorry.

Even residents have been banned from parking on (normally parkable) roads - but if you get here early a few enterprising locals with driveways are offering parking at a reduced, flat rate for the day.

By the way the above information regarding trains is 100% correct. The local council have, in their wisdom (not), caved in to the R&A and cancelled trains at Ansdell. You will need to bare this in mind if you are staying at any of the St Annes hotels. You will need to get off the train at Kirkham for a rail replacement bus to St Annes.

I travelled back from Leeds on the train Tuesday evening and noticed that none of this had been made clear at that time.....hopefully more information has been made available to travellers now.

lytham uk
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2012 Open

*just to be clear*

if you are not staying at St Annes or wishing to go there, the stop you need is 'Ansdell & Fairhaven' which is still being serviced by the 'Blackpool South' line so you can stay on the train all the way there.

Get answers to your questions about Lytham St Anne's