We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on towns/villages - going in October x

Sussex
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on towns/villages - going in October x

Hi everyone,

Me and my other half have been going to The New Forest for many years now and have done Lymington, Lyndhurst, Burley, Brockenhurst and Fordingbridge many times.

We are going for the first time with our baby daugher in October and are looking for some new things to do, nice little villages/towns to visit etc. Where can you recommend?

We don't want towns with commercial shops etc, we just want little villages with nice pubs, tea rooms and trinket shops etc, (if that makes sense).

Also are there any nice days out for a 1 year old if the weather is bad?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you xxxx

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on towns/villages - going in October x

Where are you staying?

I suggest definitely, Peppa Pig World at Paulton's Park. Excellent.

Longdown Dairy Farm (well it's not that name anymore, but highly recommend it), Colbury Road, Colbury. Excellent, she can even sit on your knee whilst you get in and feed the rabbits.

On same road, http://www.newforestwildlifepark.co.uk/ I had to google coz I couldn't remember proper name, it has been various things over the years. Also very good.

If you haven't been to Beaulieu, you really should! Nice tea rooms, also at Fairweather's Garden centre at top of road. Good pubs, nice garden at rear,

Buckler's Hard, still on Beaulieu Estate, fascinating place, where our wooden ship building industry was berthed.

Also boat trips possible from there.

Trip to Hurst Castle, defence and RAF base during WWII, very interesting, if you have a baby carrier can walk all the way down the Spit. OR get boat from Keyhaven, if it's running at this time of year. Keyhaven, very pretty place, lovely pub down there.

Beach walks, if mild, can sit and enjoy Calshot/Lepe. Also Calshot Activity Centre, if your OH fancies a go at something water related.

Starter for 10? Hope it's not too cold, was starting to get a bit chilly when I left last week!

Edited: 03 October 2012, 10:02
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on towns/villages - going in October x

Calshot also has climbing wall, and indoor ski run.. you never know, it might appeal!

3. Re: Advice on towns/villages - going in October x

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2016, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Lymington