We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lowestoft Air Show

Which Lowestoft hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Lowestoft Air Show

Hello,

We're heading to Lowestoft for the air show in July - apparently the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster will be flying (weather permitting, of course...) and we're very keen to see her!

We've never been to an air show before - has anyone been to the Lowestoft one who could offer advice as to best vantage points etc? Or even tips about a day out in Lowestoft? I've been on the show's website (www.lowestoftairfestival.co.uk/event.asp) and seen their map and read about the Park and Ride scheme - but if anybody has some first hand experience or recommendations, we'd love to know! Many thanks.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Hi,

Don't know the best place to watch the Airshow, but as for a day out I would reccomend you drive down the coast, A12 road to Southwold and Walberswick. It is about 16 miles.

Both places are on the coast, and both quaintish type towns/villages.

Good pub in Southwold is the Lord Nelson, try the sausage sandwich, and the Bell Inn at Walberswick is a very old Inn.

Hope this helps.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

More information for you, if you do not have a car, there is a regular public bus from Lowestoft to Southwold, it takes about 50 minutes (to drive is about 15 minutes). The bus goes from the bus station at 13 and 43 minutes past the hour and the number is 99.

From Southwold if you want to go to the village of Walberswick there is a ferry boat (small row boat) across the river it is only a 2 minute journey.

You can then walk up through the village, the Bell Inn is only a 5 minute walk from the ferry.

Hope this helps

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Thanks for your reply, EastofEngland - we will have a car, so a trip to Southwold and Walberwsick is definitely on the cards! The pubs sound great, too.

:)

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Hi,

A Good place to see the air show is Pakefielg cliffs as they fly in from that end or you can walk further down where it would be good

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Thanks very much, that's great!

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Hi,

As previously posted, Pakefield cliffs is a great place to view the airshow especially if you want to avoid the crowds of the seafront. If you want a great view with a good place to eat & drink I would reccomend heading to The Jolly Sailors, Trowel & Hammer or Oddfellows pubs, all located around this area...There is a park right next to the Oddfellows where the kids can play and the Trowel & Hammer also has a small play area......There is also a very good fish & chip shop called the "Pakefield Plaice" where you can get good quality fish "N" chips.

May I also take the opportunity to point out, although the airshow is a free event, it does rely heavily on the kind donations that are made by those watching. Programmes for the event are priced at £3.50 and are available at many places including "The Lowestoft Journal" office situated at 147 London Road North Lowestoft NR32 1NB

I hope all those attending have a great time.

Kind regards

Meg x x x

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Thanks very much Meg, I appreciate your help! Am hoping that the weather will be kind...

Suffolk
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Hi there

Another really good place to watch the show is Kessingland beach which a few miles south of Lowestoft (off the A12 en route to Southwold etc). It's a huge beach, loads of space, easy parking and you won't get so caught up in the crowds.

The forecast tomorrow and Friday is a bit overcast but warm so fingers crossed for a great show!

All best

Sarah Q

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Hi,

As Sarah as pointed out, Kessingland is a good place to watch the "Airshow" especially if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of crowds......However if crowds are not a problem, I would urge you all to head for the main seafront in Lowestoft and enjoy the full festivities that the "Airshow" has to offer....There is a travelling funfair set up at the far end of the seafront (close to the bridge) which will keep the youngsters (and young at heart) amused... At this end of the seafront you will be able to enjoy a drink or two at "Fishermans Wharf" or "The Harbour" where you can also enjoy good food at a reasonable price....You also have the option (if the weather is not so good) to cross the bridge and do a spot of shopping in the town centre....There you will find an assortment of good local places for a drink or bite to eat...."The Pantry" offers good home cooking at reasonable prices and if Piza is your thing head for "piza & pancake" which is just over the bridge...."Greenfields" which is just next door to "The Pantry" is great for a coffee and a lite bite..

Whatever your choice, I wish all those attending the airshow a very enjoyable 2 days in Lowestoft.

Kind regards

Meg x x x

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lowestoft Air Show

Hello everyone,

Thanks again to all who replied. I was there today in glorious weather (am a little sunburnt now!) and had a marvellous time. All of the aircraft on the program were great, but I have to admit that the highlight for me was (as expected), the Lancaster. Quite an amazing thing to see.

I would encourage anyone travelling in this part of the world to spend some time at the Air Festival - the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and the skill of the pilots, breathtaking. Lots of people I spoke to were there for the day out as much as anything else, so you don't have to be avid aircraft enthusiasts to enjoy it! Enormous fun, glad it was on when I was in East Anglia. Definitely wouldn't have missed it.

Get answers to your questions about Lowestoft
Recent Conversations