We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice place to stay ...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Nice place to stay ...

In late July we will be travelling to Loughborough for the 2010 Rope Skipping World Championships, where my daughter is competing. It will be held at Loughborough University. My wife and daughter will be staying on campus. My two sons (aged 9 and 12) and I are looking for somewhere to stay. Either a nice hotel close to the University, or maybe even a 'quaint' English Pub or B&B in one of the nearby towns or villages.

I don't know much about this part of England at all so would appreciate any insights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice place to stay ...

A good sight for accommodation of different types from Band Bs to hotels is http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/map8.html

usually with photos maps prices so you get a good idea. I don't know the area very well but Leamington Spa Warwick Castle and Stratford on Avon are all about 50 - 60 km away and worth a visit

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice place to stay ...

Burleigh Court is an hotel which is actually on the University campus. Otherwise there are a couple of hotels in Quorn, Quorn Country and Quorn Grange, both with pleasant gardens, there is Rothley Court, obviously at Rothley which is the village where the McCanns live. Both villages have pubs and Quorn is particularly well served with eating places. Northwards, there is the Yew Lodge in Kegworth and several hotels in Castle Donngton.

There are plenty of B & Bs in Loughborough and also in Hathern, three miles north on the A6.

I'm sorry to say that it is an absolute insult for someone to suggest that you should go to Leicestershire and immediately head off to touristy places like Warwick and Stratford. Leicestershire has lots to offer. Very close to the University is Charnwood Forest, so a couple of miles away are Jubilee Wood and the Outwoods for forest strolls and slightly further along Beacon Hill. A little further away is Bradgate Park, a deer park famous as the home of Lady Jane Grey, the nine day queen. The National Forest is also close by and Conkers theme park. There are some pretty villages nearby such as Woodhouse, Swithland and Barrow upon Soar. Loughborough itself benefits from its large student population in having a large variety of eating places, including two Weatherspoons, lots of shops in the town centre, an excellent street market on Thusdays and Saturdays, and the big tourist attraction of the headquarters of the preserved portion of the Great Central Railway. Queens Park is a pleasant open space in the town centre which is home to a Carillon bell tower almost unique in this country. Regular recitals are played.. If that is not enough for you, a tour of villages in Leicestershire, particularly East Leicestershire towards Rutland, and the Vale of Belvoir with Belvoir Castle, would show you some of the best rural scenery on offer.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice place to stay ...

Here are a list of B & B's/hotels I would recommend. Our son goes to Loughborough Grammar and although the school is great I wouldn't really recommend staying in central Loughborough...not such a nice town. My father in law is coming over from America next month to visit us and to see our sons school; and he has booked a room at -

www.horseshoecottagefarm.com which is in Cropston near Bradgate Park

There is also www.slaterscottage.co.uk (in Old Woodhouse) also near Bradgate Park

www.wheatsheafinn.net (at Woodhouse Eaves) near Bradgate Park

www.curtaincottage.co.uk (at Woodhouse Eaves)

www.woodylodge.co.uk (at Burton on the Wolds)

www.primahotels.co.uk/quorn (Quorn Country Hotel)

www.quorngrangehotel.co.uk (in Quorn)

www.the huntinglodgebarrowonsoar.co.uk (at Barrow on Soar)

These are all within easy reach of Loughborough University.....my cousin's daughter goes to the University. Not sure if you are renting a car though which you probably would need if you are staying in any of these places, although there will be bus services. A trip to Bradgate Park is highly recommended. We live in Oadby which is south Leicester (Loughborough is north Leicester). Market Harborough (south Leicester) is a lovely town to visit. Also look at visiting Rutland Water if you can, about 45 mins. from Loughborough. Rutland is the smallest county in England, beautiful area. Hope this helps. MrsB. Oh, and Melton Mowbray for Pork Pies :-)

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice place to stay ...

Hello Mikey 1966,

did you find a place to stay?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice place to stay ...

Hi, yes we have booked three nights at the Rothley Court Hotel. It looks really nice, good reviews ... a little bit out of Loughborough but that's OK as we will have a car.

england
Level Contributor
1 post
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice place to stay ...

I can recommend the falcon at Long Whatton, check out the website

www.thefalconinnlongwhatton.com

7. Re: Nice place to stay ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Loughborough