We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Which Loughborough hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queenstown, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Hi,

Just wondering what the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough? We will be travelling on the 15th of June (Saturday) and we are scheduled to arrive at 4:15pm into terminal 4 at Heathrow before we are able to go any further towards Loughborough.

Also once landed at Heathrow, how long could we expect before we can get on our way? We are coming from Paris...

Thanks in advance!

J

13 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Allow at least an hour at Heathrow - an hour and a half might be better. You may need to transfer from T4 to the central bus station which could take up to another half hour

Then it all depends on which of the easiest/fastest/cheapest you go for - you can't have all three

There's a National Express bus (coach) from T4 to Leicester with a connection to Loughborough - but it's not cheap, being an airport service. Not far short of £50 each. And infrequent - it would be 1920 before you left T4

Or tube into central London and then either train or coach - will be cheap particularly booked in advance. Potentially £5.50 tube then maybe £10 advance fare if you are lucky

East Midlands trains run the train service, National Express and megabus the coaches

Tube to St Pancras and train from there will be quickest - well get you there soonest with the least waiting

Unless you want a taxi all the way.......

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Trains from, St Pancras to Loughborough are two per hour, but the East Midlands train timetable is such that they leave at 25 mins and 30 mins past the hour. The earlier one is quicker so that they arrive at Loughbrough about 30 mins apart. Advance single fares at the moment are from £19 upwards, but I think you might need an off peak anytime ticket, because advance tickets are specific to a particular train.

The station at Loughborough is on the eastern edge of the town. If you are going to anywhere in town and close by, you shouldn't need a taxi (plenty outside the station). For example, if you are going to the University, there is a regular "Sprint" bus service from the station to the University which passes through the town centre. There is no actual bus station in the town, buses arricve and leaveat seemingly random places, but most stop at the market place. If you let me know where you are going I can give you specific advice.

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

hi, I am also traveling to Loughborough University in June for a school program. Would you mind give more details on where I can buy the ticket and take the train from Heathrow airport and where to take the bus from train station in Loughborough to the university? thanks!

Edited: 27 March 2014, 21:13
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Unless you have already booked your flight from Paris to Heathrow, I would look into taking the train from Paris to Loughborough (via London). The Eurostar arrives into St Pancras station, which is where the train leaves for Loughborough. It would be a lot easier than schlepping to and from airports.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 21:20
Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Ditto. Train's the way if you have't already booked flights. Loughborough trains leave from the station Eurostar arrives at.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

The questioner is (presumably) coming from Calgary. Why would he want to go via Paris?

Take the tube from Heathrow to Kings Cross/St Pancras, go to St Pancras ticket office and buy a ticket to Loughborough. Pass on the bus for the uni

You can buy your St Pancras Loughborough ticket in advance on say www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-deals/ and pick it up from a machine at St Pancras

Illustrates the dangers of necroposting

Edited: 27 March 2014, 23:00
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Not sure what necroposting is. It's not in my dictionary. Perhaps it's posting from people who appear to be dead. The questioner actually says "We are coming from Paris"!! Eurostar then is at least worth considering. I suppose we all fail to read the whole question from time to time. I'm guilty of it myself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

Necroposting = reviving a "dead" thread by posting a new message on it. This is what the poster in post 3 did. If you read the original post even more fully, you will see that it was posted in May 2013. Odds are high that the original poster has made their trip from France to Loughborough and returned home.

The poster in post 3, who has not yet travelled is coming from Canada, not Paris, so the Eurostar is of absolutely no use to him/her, which is what the poster in post 6 was pointing out.

Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

The most sensible thing to avoid this issue would be for TA to show the original posting date on the lead page of the forum - not outside their capabilities, I'm sure... com on TA!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough

The easiest way and most convenient way is with National Express. it picks you up from the airport and you can get off in Loughborough (with 1 stop/change in Leicester) or Loughborough uni. It's cheap as well. around £20. Train is more hassle and potentially more expensive.

buy your ticket in advance from national express on its website. Nationalexpress.co.uk

Reply to: Easiest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Loughborough
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loughborough