We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church Services on the Mainland

Which Mainland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Church Services on the Mainland

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a church service on the Mainland. My husband and I will be visiting Orkney for 3 days in September and staying on the Mainland. Not sure yet if it will be Stromness or Kirkwall for our base.

I see that St. Magnus has a service. Would that be the one to attend, or are there other ones? Also, would there be any services on Sat, Mon or Tues like an Evensong?

Another possibility would be to Island hop that morning if there is a ferry early enough to get us to a church service. Would appreciate any help you can give.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church Services on the Mainland

Can't offer any info about the actual service at St Magnus but I have visited it and it is a lovely and interesting building. Perhaps googling "St Magnus Cathedral" would tell you what you need to know.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 18:02
Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church Services on the Mainland

Both towns have loads to offer but Kirkwall is probably more likely to meet your spiritual needs as it's the capital. St Magnus' Cathedral is a must and has something on most nights in the summer.

http://www.stmagnus.org/

There is often a classical concert on in the cathedral. Seems like every school kid has a violin!

Make sure you visit the Italian Chapel. Definitely a highlight.

http://www.visitorkney.com/italianchapel/

Peter

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Church Services on the Mainland

Thanks - I did look on St. Magnus Cathedral's site earlier, just not sure if there are other churches that I should check out too. It seems that not a lot of churches in Okrney have websites - not surprising, but harder to find info on if not in the area.

And the Italian Chapel is on our list to see too!

Edited: 19 January 2013, 15:47
Whitehall...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church Services on the Mainland

Services at St Magnus are conducted by a Church of Scotland minister. A few hundred yards up the road from the cathedral is St Olaf's which is Scottish Episcopalian. and is described on this website

…anglican.org/index.php/…st_olafs_kirkwall

There is also a Baptist church almost opposite the cathedral.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Church Services on the Mainland

Thank you, that looks like a lovely church to visit, too! I am so looking forward to spending time in Orkney.

6. Re: Church Services on the Mainland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2016, 19:15