We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

Which Kirkwall hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

Our cruise ship will dock at Kirkwall Harbour for a day (8:00 am to 5:00 pm). I tried to look up some information on the internet re this place but there is not much I can find. Can anyone tell me how to go from the harbour to Skara Brae by publice transport and how long does it takes? Is there any bus/train station close to the harbour and what is the name of the station? Any information on the bus/train routes would be helpful. Thanks!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

When I went to Orkney I had access to my own car, so did not need to rely on public transport. However I know that others have visited Orkney and used bus/taxis services whilst there. Hopefully someone who has done that will read your post and be able to tell you of their experiences. For now you could look at the following sites which may be of help

scotland-index.co.uk/islands/…kirkwall.htm

www.scotland-info.co.uk/kirkwall.htm www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk./kirkwall/kirkwall/index.htm/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190780-i3926-k632…

this is a link to a thread discussing transport options on Orkney.

your Cruise company may have an organised tour for you to go on,bit there are a few other options that are mentioned on the thread,hopefully that will give you the answers you need.

I did Skara Brae on the local bus tour and it is a stunning place so make every effort to get there .local taxi companies will take you there and wait while you look around but it will not be cheap.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

There are no trains on Orkney. It may be worth you hiring a car for the day and sharing the costs with others on the cruise.

Many of the great sights are a couple of miles apart and a car would give you the flexibility. Traffic is light.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

As Peterscot say, there are no trains on Orkney. I think a taxi would be your best option - it's under half an hour to Skara Brae from Kirkwall by car. I'd allow at least one hour to visit Skara Brae. There are many other fascinating sites to visit too - don't miss Maes Howe, the Ring of Brodgar, and Kirkwall itself is worth a look around.

There is plenty of good info on Orkney, the historic sites and how to get around at www.visitorkney.com.

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

Thank you for all the useful information. Hope you all have a good day!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

You're very welcome, iluvy. Have a great trip!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
61 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

Have a look at http://www.wildaboutorkney.com/tours.htm as they do day tours which certainly include Skara Brae. Never tried them myself but I've seen their minibuses plenty of times.

Mike

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

I used wildaboutorkney last October and the tour was excellent. Their website says they do tours for cruise ship groups but I suspect you need to have that arranged for a full bus load (the bus I went on carried about 20 passengers, even though that day I was the only passenger). It could be worth emailing them and asking about a special tour for yourself and friends. They do have scheduled tours that might fit in with your timetable

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

I just found out there is a bus (#8A) running between Kirkwall and Skara Brae during summer. It's not very frequent but if someone want to take the public transport to Skara Brae, its the only option. Besides it also passed by the Standing Stones, one ot the attraction that I want to visit. Thanks agian for all those who tried to help me out. Have a very wonderful day!

10. Re: Kirkwall Harbour to Skara Brae

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 02:15