We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shetlands for non-driver

Which Lerwick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shetlands for non-driver

I have just started researching the Shetlands after meeting a native in New Zealand. From Australia it is a bit of a trek and I am getting the impression that it could be difficult to see much if you didn't drive.

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
331 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

Its no different to any other place. The local transport network is very good with the buses run by a local company called Leasks. They all run to the relevant areas for ferry connectins etc, so its possible to get around the island.

For periods of quietness its a case of the rule of the thump.....extending ones arm, holding the thumb in a upward angle (Only thump and no other digiit) and moving it back and forward as a car/tractor/vehicle approaches you.....

The folk on Shetland are some of the kindest you can meet, having spent 7 years there I know.....

have a good visit

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
331 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

sorry....type....rule of the thumb !!!!

Stromness, Orkney...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

I agree with the above post.

Shetland is in some ways better explored without a car - the money from north sea oil that has so benefited the region has been spent on many things, including new roads. These are now, in my opinion, too good, encouraging too fast driving and a blurred perspective on the landscape.

The local buses and hitch-hiking will put you in touch with locals and give you an ear on their conversations!

Go for it!

shetland
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

As a local I would DEFINATELY advise you to hire a car. Local buses www.leaskstravel.co.uk are mainly geared to take people from outlying areas into Lerwick and home again after work. There are frequent services to Scalloway and Sumburgh airport but apart from that...

With a car you will also be free to stop and admire out stunning scenery and wildlife!

Car hire is available from Star Rent a Car and Bolts.

Hope you decide to make the trip as I'm sure you'll love it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,160 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

jigjag it may be difficult for the OP to hire a car if they can't drive ;=)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

It's unclear from the OP if they can not drive or do not want to. Could they cylce in the Shetlands; it's not that mountainous?

I'm more worried about the OP's statement "from Australia it is a bit of a trek .....". If they can walk from Oz, surely they could walk around the Shetlands!

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

PS "cylce" is not Gaelic for "cycle". I'm just rather tired.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

I think your right in suggesting that from Australia it is a bit of a trek .... half way round the world I should think!

Anyway, if you get there you should go to Foula and stay with my sister Marion who has a B&B at Leraback. Foula claims to be the UK's most remote inhabited island on the grounds that it is cut off more often and for longer than any other. It is just spectacular, to the west of Shetland mainland, huge cliffs all round the island.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

Thanks for the feedback and laughs everyone. It does seem to be my kind of place. To give you a better idea, I am a 62 year old lady and we have never owned a car. I do ride a bike, swim climb mountains and love to walk.

It is a long way though. I will look into breaking the journey into 8 to 10 hr. flights. I did 19hrs to Argentina and don't think I could face that again.

10. Re: Shetlands for non-driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Lerwick