We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short visit to Lerwick

Which Lerwick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
veendam
5 posts
Save Topic
short visit to Lerwick

Staying on Hoy (Orkney)for a two weeks holiday,

is it worth visiting Lerwick for a day or two.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short visit to Lerwick

It doesn't sound like an easy quick trip to make. As I recall, Hoy doesn't have an airfield, so you'd have to get the ferry to Mainland (Orkney), then cross to the other side of Kirkwall for the airport, fly to Sumburgh, then bus or hire-car the 25 miles to Lerwick.

Alternatively the ferry from Orkney to Lerwick itself runs overnight - you'll need to check the timetable as it only runs one way each night.

That said, in my view a day or two in Lerwick may not have enough to offer to make it worth the long trip (though others will I'm sure disagree). In that time I don't think you'd get much beyond things you could already get from Orkney and Kirkwall and Stromness. Shetland is well worth a longer stay.

Martin

veendam
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: short visit to Lerwick

Thanks a lot for your answer Martin.

We will visit Lerwick some other time, as you explaned one has to stay on the Shetlands for a longer periode, maybe next year.

Thanks again.

Bregtje

3. Re: short visit to Lerwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Lerwick