We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Lerwick

Which Lerwick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
One day in Lerwick

We will be in the Norwegian Jewel that will be in Lerwick on 21 Sep 09 from 8 am to 4 pm. We've doing some research, and cause we don't want to do ship excursion tours, we've thought about going in our own. We are thinking about taking the public bus (as early as we can) to Jarlshof and going back to Lerwick, take another bus to Scalloway (20 minutes) and take a quick view of the town and back to Lerwick again. Would that be possible? (I know it would be a very quick visit..) Is there any other place to visit instead this two (recheable by bus)?

If we could go only to one of the places which one should we go?

Thank you.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Lerwick

Hello there,

I did this three years ago, the ship excursions were expensive and you are herded in and out like a flock of sheep! it was then £35 each for me and my husband to do a half day to the south of the island in the morning and the same price for a half day to the North in the afternoon. this would have cost us £140 if we did both.

I hired a car from Lerwick, they were on the quay waiting for us with a board with our name on and we left the car on the quay at night, we went where we liked and the whole day's car hire was £35.

Unfortunatley I cant remember the name of the firm but google car hire Shetland and see what you can find.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Lerwick

hi, me again.

It was Bolt's car hire, 01595 693636, very nice people, we went to Sumburgh head and St Ninians Isle then back to the ship via Scalloway, but we were most interested in bird life, puffins etc. Overall it was the best day of our cruise. Hope this helps.

Madrid
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Lerwick

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately we don't drive. After reading your posts I have googled St Ninians Isle and it's so beautiful!. Too bad we won't be able to go there...

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Lerwick

you might be able to hire a car and driver for less than the ship's excursions!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Lerwick

I would just concentrate on going to Jarlshof if I were you. It takes about 40 minutes to get there by car so I would imagine that bus would maybe take around an hour. We spent about 1 and a half hours there on our visit the other week. If you go use the free audio guide that they have (not sure if it is in Spanish but your English seems pretty good:-)as this is really helpful in explaining what you are seeing. Right next to Jarlshof is the Sumburgh Hotel which does really good lunches. And just about 10 minutes walk along the road is Scatness which is another archaelogical dig in progress which you can look around. We didn't go to Scalloway so I can't comment on it but Jarlshof was really interesting.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Lerwick

Have you seen copies of the bus timetables? If not look here:

leaskstravel.co.uk/bus-timetables/sumburgh.s…

leaskstravel.co.uk/bus-timetables/scalloway.…

Jarlshof opens at 9,30.

The earliest bus you will be able to catch is 9.15 from the bus station. This gets you to Jarslhof at 9.59.

If you want to go to Scalloway you will need to catch the 12.00 bus back from Jarlshof to Lerwick bus station. This gets in at 12.45.

Catch the 13 00 bus from the bus station to Scalloway, arriving at 13.20. If you want to go round the castle you will need to ask at the hotel for the key as the castle is kept locked.

You will need to catch the 14.30 bus back from Scalloway getting back to Lerwick at 14.55.

DO CHECK THESE TIMES WHEN YOU ARRIVE IN LERWICK, AND MAKE SURE THERE HAVE NOT BEEN ANY CHANGES.

It is possible to do Scalloway as well as Jarlshof, but this is a fairly busy day. You won't have very long at either place and there is no time built in for you to get a meal.

If you wanted to spend longer at Jarlshof there is a later bus back at 13.15, getting into Lerwick at 14.10. BUT IF YOU MISS THIS you will have to get a taxi (or miss the boat...)

Lerwick is a pleasant small town and well worth walking around. There is Clickimin Broch which is about 15min walk from the town. The fishing harbour and the old houses along the quay repay exploring too.

Eleanor

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
331 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Lerwick

I used to live up in Shetland, getting about by the bus is possible but very time consuming. It will also mean that you would miss out on a lot of the area. Jarlshof, Sumburgh head, St Ninians are all a must. The settlement at Sumburgh/Jarlshof, the view from Sumburgh Head lighthouse (Puffins/whales etc) and finally the beach area/old church at St Ninians. On the way north wards there is also the chance to nip over to Mousa (Boat trips are available) It might be worth doing a google search for any local companies that do the trip instead of paying the astronomical prices from onboard. If not give me a PM and I will see if any of my local contacts are in the known....

Shame you are not going in Feb, you would see the March of a thousand torches - well worth the visit

Madrid
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Lerwick

Thank you all!! After reading all of your advice I've realised that going to both places is not possible, without a car (or if by bus, without running ;)). Finally, after reading the forum, We may take a three hour boat tour around Noss and Bressay:

www.seabirds-and-seals.com/pages/noss.html

What do you think? Would it be nice?

I would prefer to go to Jarlshof, but my partners like better the boat tour and spending some time at Lerwick.

After all the "research" I've decided that next year I'll try to go the Shetland Islands so I will be able to see all the great places there!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Lerwick

I went on that boat trip just a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent. We were really lucky with the weather - a bit dull, but the sea was really calm. We saw lots of seals, some porpoises and thousands of seabirds at really close range. Boat anchored in a huge cave and we saw the scene underwater on the mini submarine. It cost £40 each which we thought was quite expensive but after doing the trip we felt it was worth every penny.

Beautiful Shetland...
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Lerwick

Hello.

I live in Cunningsburgh which is some 10 miles south of Lerwick and approximately 15 miles north of Jarlshoff. The bus between the 2 locations is the number 6 but, although fairly reliable, is not particularly frequent and the scheduled times may not suit you. The previous suggestion to hire a car is the best one as it gives you the best chance to do other things within the limited time available to you.

In Lerwick, Bolts is a good company and you can rent a small Kia car fairly cheaply for the day. I have hired from them when my car was being repaired and found them to be helpful. If you do hire, don't forget to bring your driving licence. An even better option, if you don't have to pre-book the excursion, is to find other pssengers on board who might want to share the car hire costs.

Be prepared for a shock as to the cost of fuel here. We are surrounded by North sea oil yet pay 116p per litre for unleaded right now.

Get answers to your questions about Lerwick