We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

I have read through some of the other topics but they are mostly directed about visiting in July/summer months. We are visiting from a cruiseship and I suppose if the seas are rough we may not be able to land. But being positive, we want to plan!

We don't want a trip on a large bus and were hoping for a trip with 6 to 8 people, but that may have fallen through.

What destinations would be feasible (by rental car) in October? We want to see something interesting and have lunch in a pub with a fire!

Any suggestions welcomed, but please don't send me to other topics. We have read many and many are now closed (I really am sorry that TA started doing that but just MHO)

Thanks for your help.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

http://visit.shetland.org/

Hi,

Have you looked at that excellent site? Lots of ideas and suggestion there.

I doubt it will be too rough to land - Lerwick is a sheltered harbour.

What are you interested in? The famous sites are those like Jarlshof - 4,000 years of habitation on one site. Older than Stonehenge!

There's also Scatness, less than a mile away. This ancient village was recently discovered during the expansion of Sumburgh airport.

http://visit.shetland.org/archaeology

If you want scenery, you could head for dramatic cliffs at Eshaness, with a stop for good food at Braewick Cafe or the Pierhead Bar in Voe. En route is the narrowest part of the UK (Mavis Grind) - about 100 yards from west to east! Can you throw a stone from the Atlantic Ocean to the North Sea?

Not sure where the real fires are, but maybe a local will know.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

Thank you for your prompt replay and for the helpful information.

After reading about the suggestions we want to do them all! So perhaps we will find another couple or two and rent a car or a van, if one is still available. We will arrive on September 28, but people may have beat us to the draw, as we are quite late in getting started!

Thank you again for your help.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

We have four of us now and wanting to hire a car, but have had no response from Bolt's Car Hire after 2 emails. Do you know if they are still in business?: Is there another one you could recommend? We are hoping to be picked up at the dock as 2 of us are using a cane and get around a little slower.

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

Try Star. There are taxis at the docks, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

Hi

I take it you are on the Grand Princess? In which case, yours will be the last cruise liner to visit us this summer. It looks to me as if she is a very large ship, as she will lie at anchor in Breiwick, just outside the port of Lerwick. If this is the case, you will come ashore by tender, and you will land at Victoria Pier, which is right in the centre of Lerwick & close to our Tourist Information Centre.

You've already got some suggestions of places to visit and I'd suggest www.shetland.org for more ideas. Scalloway is an interesting village and theres some wonderful scenery south from there on the islands of Trondra and Burra (joined by bridges). Drive north of Lerwick and follow signs to Nesting - again, very scenic and often overlooked by visitors. For dramatic views on a clear day, head for the 'westside' (the west mainland) and drive through Whiteness to Weisdale. You could visit the old mill at Weisdale where theres an excellent cafe, and small shop. And the chance of seeing otters in the burn outside as you drink your coffee.

We don't really have pubs in Shetland, not in the English sense of pub - and with a few exceptions, most bars are attached to hotels (and we don't have many) except in Lerwick. Unfortunately, I think the chances of finding a bar with a fire on a Tuesday are probably not great.

If you do have time on your hands in Lerwick, then definitely go to the Shetland Museum at Hays Dock - its fantastic. The building under construction next to it is our new music & arts venue due to open next year.

One small note of caution - I'm afraid the weather does occasionally stop cruise liners coming in. Depending on wind direction, the 'sooth mooth' or south entrance to the harbour can get very rough indeed - as it did only last Tuesday. Hopefully it'll be OK for you though. I hope you enjoy your visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

Have a great trip to Shetland! I would just suggest that you visit the Peerie Cafe in Lerwick for the best coffee and big lovely scones - now I know it is pretty basic but we always try to visit when we come to the mainland.

We live on a tiny island called Papa Stour on the west side of Shetland - you can catch our blog - www.shetlanddiary.com - we would even be happy to show you around if you let us know when you reach Shetland.

Have a great time

7. Re: Visiting Lerwick in Late September!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Lerwick