We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus tours

Inverness
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
bus tours

Hi, my daughter and I are going to Shetlands for five days at the start os September and wanted to know about bus tours are there any? if so which one is the best.

thanks

Margaret.

8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus tours

I would try contacting Shetland tourist board. Googling "Shetland bus tours" also brought up a few options.

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bus tours

Hi Margaret

For information on visiting Shetland go to www.shetland.org. You'll find loads of ideas there. Click on the 'See and Do' tab, then go to 'Tours' www.visit.shetland.org/tours and you'll find information on local operators offering tours - boat trips too. I would particularly recommend Shetland Geotours for a great day out, and its not just about geology. Note that many local bus services are run by John Leask and Sons, but they don't run bus tours (except for visiting cruise liners or pre-arranged groups). You could however use some of their normal service routes for a day out - especially down to Sumburgh, or across to Scalloway - but do check the timetables carefully. Go to www.visit.shetland.org/public-transport for information on bus services etc.

Hope this is helpful. If you have any specific ideas on what you would like to do when you are here, come back and let me know and I’ll see what I can suggest.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus tours

would you consider hiring a car ?

Inverness
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus tours

thank you all for the information will start looking at options now...don't think we can manage a car.

cheers

Margaret

Belfast
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bus tours

I had a three great days touring with Shetland Geotours. Excellent and extremely helpful guide went out of his way to make our stay in Shetland a wonderful experience. http://www.shetlandgeology.com/

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
333 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus tours

We are in on a cruise for just 7 hours total. I was surprised to see that the Cruise Line runs a nice 2 hour tour to the countryside but there are not only no Photo stops but NO STOPS at ALL! ( (be prepared). Hoping to find a small van tour or private van for 6-8 max. Any ideas?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus tours

we had one day on Shetland and hired a car, went where we liked and left it on the quay at night with the keys in the glove compartment. I do love islands!!

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bus tours

I would think about taking your 2 hour bus tour, even if there are no stops. It will give you a chance to see a small part of Shetland and if there is a local tour guide on the bus, you will learn a lot and can ask questions – the guides are very knowledgeable. There are a number of small tour operators in Shetland - heres a link to a list http://visit.shetland.org/tours As Fuschsia girl suggests, if you are comfortable driving, you could hire a car for a few hours but you would need to book this in advance. Roads here are mostly very good and quiet – although many are single track with passing places – something to be aware of if you are not used to it. If you have time to spare in Lerwick, then there are nice places to walk , and our wonderful new Museum to visit. And of course, you must have time for shopping!

Reply to: bus tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lerwick