We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

Which Great Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

my partner and I travelled to Norfolk this weekend with no idea at all of what to expect. We booked a b&b in Yarmouth and were absolutely horrified by the city. We had read about its past as an important oily fish port and the beautiful seafront but the Victorian houses at the port are covered by those horrible leisure centres full of neons, fluorescent colours and junk food everywhere. That amazing Empire Theatre has been left to dereliction.

We were also unable to find one decent place for a nice meal as everything was fast food.

We loved the Broads and northern Norfolk though

Coalville, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

Yep...

Beccles
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

I went toi breat yarmouth the other day with my brother and family who were over from America, They didnt finf Yarmouth terrible atall, we went to a road that is near the Town hall, wher all the boats are and there were a number of museums there. Also went onto the Lydia Eva The last 'original' working steam drifter and had aguided tour of the boat which was very interesting. Then by their recommendation had alovely meal astones throw from the boat. I cant remember the name of the restaurant it was attched to a bazaar type of shop. The food was fantastic, cooked fresh, nothing was too much trouble, friendly service, and the Portugese cook came and served us himself. Will definitely going back there. Yes Yarmouth is run down but that is not going to change unless money is put into the area and thats down to the people who live there.

Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

It's just a typical holiday seaside resort. Have you been to Skegness, Southend,Clacton, Margare, Ramsgate? Need I go on?

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

I don't know when you last went to Southend, Margate or Ramsgate, but they have been given a real face lift in the past couple of years. Lots of improvements and some very nice restaurants in all of them. Additionally, in Margate you have the Turner Contemporary art gallery.

I agree that Great Yarmouth is a dump, but there are some places along the coast not too far away that aren't so tacky.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

Can't have looked hard then there's some lovely places to eat in yarmouth....

Beccles
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

What a shaeme for all the people that live in Yarmouth to read this, did you not look up before you visited it is what it is and ubnless there is more investment like everywhere it will slowly die. But this is peoples homes so a bit more respect please.

97. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 21:07
Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
790 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

I cannot fathom the intelligence of people who seemingly join trip advisor to simply troll. The government should revoke access to these people. Do they not realise that they only make themselves sound pathetic? Obviously not. Troll on idiots.

Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

Too true Jimbo 16,it would be interesting to know where Bingy 1970 resides, but then again, maybe not, some of us have lives to live.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
100. Re: Great Yarmouth-What a horrible place

Sometimes when you live in a place you don't see it in the eyes of an outsider. After our visit a couple of years ago I certainly wouldn't return. Sad really, because many years ago we did have a couple of very good holidays in the area.

We are going back to Norfolk, but staying in a small village not too far from King's Lynn.

Get answers to your questions about Great Yarmouth