We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unanswered Q's

Which Great Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
189 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Unanswered Q's

We will be visiting the Great Yarmouth area later this year on holiday from Montana and I have a couple of questions I have been unable to get answers for from various tourist agencies.

It is my hope that the readers on this forum might be able to answer questions from a would-be visitor.

1) The First Bus route map for GY shows a bus stop at 'Northgate Hospital.". Can someone tell me what street intersection the bus stops at?

2) How often does the Seafront Road Train pass by any given poing along its route--hourly; every half-hour; every 15 minutes?

3) Does anyone know the dates for the 2006 Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival as well as the Yare Navigation Race?

4) What are the hours of operation for the Tolhouse Museum and the Time And Tide Museum on a Saturday and Sunday in mid-September?

5) What is the denomination of St. Nicholas Church in GY--Catholic or Anglican--and does anyone have any idea of what time church services are on Sunday, 17 Sept?

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help they may provide and I want you to know how much we are looking forward to visiting the GY area later this year.

Warmest regards.

Darks Farkswald

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unanswered Q's

Great Yarmouth and the Norfolk Broads was one of my family's favorite vacation places when I was a child. I have very fond memories of sailing gently along the broads and of the excitement of the Pleasure beach for the first time when i was 10 years old. I hope you have a wonderful vacation. To answer (some0 of your questions:

1) It's on Northgate Street between Beaconsfield Road and Estcourt Road. Here's a street map to help:

http://tinyurl.com/r8ma5

2) Sorry don't know

3) Maritime festival is 9th and 10th September 2006. Yare Navigation Race is 16th September 2006

4) Don't know and they are currently closed for the winter (reopening on 3rd April) so can't check with them yet. But last year opening hours were Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat-Sun 1.15pm-5pm. They'll most likely be the same this year. Time & Tide is open open every day 10am - 5pm.

5) St Nicolas (like all churches that were in existence at the time of the protestant reformation of the 16th century) is Anglican.

Hope this helps some and that someone else can answer the rest of your questions.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unanswered Q's

Hi

I too have very happy memories of going to Yarmouth as a young girl. The sun always seemed to shine.

I am afraid I can't answer any of the questions that CC left unanswered. However, I hope you don't mind me copying a post I did a while back about the attractions of North Norfolk (all easily reachable from Yarmouth). Might give you some more ideas of places to visit and things to do. Have a lovely time.

"This is one of my favourite parts of England and is fast becoming known as Chelsea on sea. Loads of great restaurants serving seafood, especially the local speciality, Cromer Crab.

Some of my favourite places to eat –

White Horse, Brancaster

www.whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk

White Horse Hotel, Blakeney (try the warm crayfish tart!) You can also go seal watching from Blakeney Point.

www.blakeneywhitehorse.co.uk

Fishes, Burnham Market

www.fishesrestaurant.co.uk

Hoste Arms, Burnham Market

www.hostearms.co.uk

Victoria Hotel, Holkham (you would love Holkham beach. Gwyneth is seen running across it at the end of the film Shakespeare in Love, and also the Queen rides her horses on it as Sandringham is close by – worth a visit as well)

www.holkham.co.uk

www.sandringhamestate.co.uk

The Lifeboat Inn, Thornham (fantastic location right by the beach)

www.lifeboatinn.co.uk

The little town of Holt is worth a visit. It has a very good restaurant called Yetmans, and an amazing delicatessen and food hall called Bakers and Larners. High Class picnic food! Sorry, can’t find a website for Yetmans.

The wide open beaches of Norfolk are great for walking and are never crowded. Many are protected by the RSPCB and National Trust. The striped cliffs of Hunstanton are interesting and unusual.

Most of the villages mentioned above are picturesque.

The Poppy Line Steam Railway goes along the coast and is a superb day out – you can go on and off as you choose. We went from Sheringham to Holt, shopped in Holt and then walked back. For part of the way the line goes right next to the sea.

www.nnrailway.co.uk

Blicking Hall is a National Trust property with beautiful grounds.

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-fi…

If you like good beer then do try some Greene King, especially the Abbott Ale, but beware of the sledgehammer effect when drinking it too quickly on a hot day! It’s brewed in the neighbouring county of Suffolk (my birthplace)".

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unanswered Q's

Hi. As cheshirecat answered most of your questions I can't be much more help . The seafront train would normally pass any given point every 30 mins but this depends on the number of people who are along the seafront. The opening times for the Museums are the same as last year as given by cc. You mentioned the Maritime Festival. If this is your first visit to the festival its a great day out and even better if the sun shines with great shanty singing and lots of local crafts ect. As I live in Great Yarmouth I would be only to pleased to find out anything you need to know. Hope you have a great time when you visit us. Tel.

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
189 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unanswered Q's

You guys--CheshireCat; Morgana, and Tel--are incredible. In less than 24 hours you answered questions I have been asking tourism centers for the past four months.

You have been very kind to a stranger. I look forward to passing this kindness on to someone else in need.

Thanx

Darks

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Unanswered Q's

Morgana - do you know what the pub at the ferry at Reedham is like these days? I haven't been to that part of the world in years but I recall some very happy evenings with friends when I was in my 20's sampling the dozens and dozens of different whiskys that they had.

Darks - hope you enjoy your visit.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unanswered Q's

CC - I know the pub you mean but haven't been for years either. Norfolk really is a lovely place, although as I was born in Suffolk I'm not supposed to say things like that!

Darks - this forum has some truly great people on it who are so willing to share info. I love the way that 'no question is too daft' and I'm always learning new things.

Have a wonderful holiday.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unanswered Q's

Norfolk and Suffolk are fabulous.

But those who, like myself, have fond memories childhood of Great Yarmouth, and its sister resort of Gorleston, would be VERY disappointed in the Great Yarmouth of today. One of the most tacky resorts in the country with streets of grotty souvenir shops replacing the characterful shops of years ago, streets full of rubbish and endless lookalike amusement arcades. Even the weather's much worse than it used to be! My avice on Yarmouth - give it a wide berth!

Norwich, England UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unanswered Q's

Reedham Ferry pub, i havent been to for about a year but at last visit very nice still!

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unanswered Q's

Hi aardvark 10. Must agree with you about the run down state of Great Yarmouth at the moment. The council after many years are now begining to spend money on improving the town with millions of pounds being spent along the seafronts golden mile thanks to the Lottery and European grants. The town centre has also been improved over the last two years and there is talk of the outer harbour being started next year after many years of talking about it so this should bring more wealth into the town.

Great Yarmouth is still a great base for days out to other parts of Norfolk including the Norfolk Broads and its also close to the Suffolk border. It has great places to eat and is still a good family resort for the summer holidays with a good sandy beach. I know people who have been coming to Yarmouth for well over 40 years and they still look foward to coming year after year. It also has a lot of history in its buildings and museums so the next time you visit please take in the more positive things about the town and I am sure you will have a good time. Tel.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unanswered Q's

Hi tel, I didn't mean to be rude about your home town!!

I agree with all you say - it is a good base for Norfolk and Suffolk. I just think it is a shame the way it has gone downhill in recent years.

I really do have fond memories of the place, as I spent many holidays in Gorleston and Corton, just over the border in Suffolk.

My outstanding memory of Yarmouth is the market place where the chip stalls served the best chips in the country, far better than Harry Ramsden's!!

Ther was also a row boat ferry across the Yare from Gorleston to Yarmouth, and goods trains along the streets. Those were the days!

Get answers to your questions about Great Yarmouth
Recent Conversations