We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

Nottingham
Level Contributor
4 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

Does somebody know exactly why it takes more than a year to fix a lift? We wanted to ascend the View Tower, as we did three years ago. We wanted to go up last year early June, and the same arcade attendant robotically informed us that the management doesn't really give a toss, because it isn't economically viable to maintain. Please tell us there is more to it, than just blatant penny-pinching and idleness?... Shine some light anyone?...

Essex
Level Contributor
27,967 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

1) it is Atlantis, not Atlantic

2) it IS just blatant penny pinching and idleness, probably!

3) they seem to make much of the lift on their website

4) the external lift on the Spinnaker tower at Portsmouth has never worked! (But at least there is an internal one)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

You actually managed to go up the tower? I have never found it open and gave up asking. I assumed it was not economic to keep it open.

There is another way to get views over Gt Yarmouth, but it is only open on certain days each year - and there us no lift -

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Monument

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

It depends whetehr they modernised the old lift, the reason why I'm saying this is because if it dates from the 60's/ 70's or so the original manufactuer most likely no longer makes the parts and they have to be specially made. Although, even custom made it shouldn't take that long although, one thing you should consider is whether they made enough money opening it to the public to cover the costs of maintaing that lfit. As the older they get the more expensive they are to maintain, even a brand new lift I would reckon might be a good £250,000 plus to get the exisitng lift out, they'd have to take rthe roof off, use some cranes and it could a very costly affair. Although I do agree this seems odd, as this tower was being mentioned on Look East a year or so ago being re-opened. I would also question whether in part it's health and safety, as if they have no emergency stairs they would be stuck, and making the lift opeertable in a fire could be exceptionally costly, as modern day leislastion is a lot tighter than it is now, than what it may have been back in the day when it was first built. I'm going to see wheher the Atlantis complex can give an answer to this one as it's something which would be nice to know why it always seems shut.

Mind you, talking about lifts that almost never worked, I think it was Ventmoor Botanic Gardern's lift (Same installer as the Spinaker tower by the way), and from online images it seemed to be a little clear why it might not have been working, someone hadn't plugged it in to a plug socket by the lift, and I think a few years back when I mentioned this, and after several years of the engineer trying to work out what was wrong it seemed as though that was down to a simple wall plug not being plugged in and I think that's now working completely, if I'm correct and may have saved the council a small fortune replacing it.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

They have emergency stairs ;)

5. Re: Viewing Tower, Atlantic City, Promenade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2016, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Great Yarmouth
Recent Conversations