We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Scotland in March

Heacham
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Scotland in March

Hi,

I'm trying to persuade my husband to holiday in the Cairngorms/Grantown on Spey/Nethy Bridge area in March for about a week. We like birdwatching, walking, nature and photography and have a dog.

We've only ever been to Scotland in the summer and my husband is a little concerned about weather conditions, to be more precise, driving conditions. I know no-one can predict the weather but are the roads cleared of snow pretty well in the area or could it be a struggle? We don't have a 4 x 4.

Is March an ok time to consider a break in Scotland?

Thanks,

Lynda

8 replies to this topic
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

We have just spent a week in the West Highlands, and it snowed whilst we were there. All the main and secondary roads were kept clear and ploughed quickly. They are fully prepared for snow unlike England. We saw snowploughs regularly on stand by when not snowing.

Some minor roads and tracks were difficult, but you could keep off those anyway.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

The main roads are usually kept clear up north - I've friends live in rural aberdeenshire (they own a VW golf not a 4x4!) and they rarely get snowed in, even when there's a couple of feet of snow. Side roads may be more of a problem and if it's very windy then the drifting can be an issue. By march you shouldn't have too much trouble (famous last words!!!).

UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

I live in Glasgow and havent seen snow in over a year. The Cairngorms however have had good snow this year (check the cairngorms ski report) but the roads are well maintained and swept (we're well used to it). In the highly unlikey event that the country is snowed in, you could just head over to the west islands and view the sea eagles on Mull/ Islay instead- one benefit of the west coast islands is that they very very rarely get snowed in.

You wont have a problem- grab you camera and binoculars and get twitching

Heacham
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

Thanks for your (very positive) replies.

Lynda

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

I live in Grantown on Spey and I was just commenting the other day how Spring like it's becoming. I very much doubt if the weather will take a severe turn for the worse but who knows. I would suggest you have a look at the website www.bwwc.co.uk for info on wildlife watching in the area or if you happen to be in Grantown, pop into the Grant Arms Hotel in the Square where their is loads of info on bird and wildlife watching. You may even choose to stay in the hotel...they accept dogs!

Cheers

Woody x

Heacham
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

Thanks very much Woody.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

Don't forget Dunkeld and the ospreys at the Loch of Lowes - not sure when they'll return from Africa. Probably much the same time as the ones at Loch Garten and that was start of April last year, but who knows?

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/visit/…

The Cairngorms have really deep snow and everyone's keeping skis crossed it'll last for a long time. SNow can linger (in quantity) until June in a good season, or there can be almost none : compare 2013 against 2012 to see both extremes.

You are likely to have easy access to the trails in Rothiemurchus forest - there are good long walks all the way from Grantown - Aviemore (or, more feasibly, the backroads near Boat of Garten to Loch Morlich - wild without becoming difficult

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/

Heacham
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Scotland in March

Cheers Derek.

Reply to: Travelling to Scotland in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grantown-on-Spey