We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
603 reviews
First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Hi Everyone

Just wanting a little advice please.

My wife, son (11) and daughter (9) will be joining myself in Enniskillen in at the end of July to stay in a lovely cottage just outside the town for 8 days. We are going to Belfast for 2 days and driving down to Dublin for a day and then the Giants Causeway as well. I was wondering what else we could do for the other 4 days as we want to see some of the beautiful places and attractions nearby.

Thanks in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Comber, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Hi Laurence

Fermanagh is a beautiful and often overlooked part of Northern Ireland. You will find plenty to interest you in your extra time. National Trust properties Crom, Florence Court and Castle Coole are worth exploring. The Marble Arch Caves and Geopark, Cliffs of Magho, Castle Archdale Forest Park, Cuilcagh mountain are all interesting spots. There are plenty of outdoor activities such as kayaking, boating, golf, archery, biking, climbing in the area. Museums at Enniskillen Castle or the Ulster American Folk Park at Omagh.

You are also only a short drive from the beautiful Donegal, Beleek village (for a pottery tour) or the sperrin mountains.

CP

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
603 reviews
2. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Wow thanks for the information. Laurence

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,915 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Will this include the 12th? You may wish to include or avoid the parades, but it is worth being aware of them.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

I would definitely take a day trip out to Slieve League Cliffs , The Highest sea cliffs in Ireland (three times higher than the cliffs of Moher) on route you will pass Glencar waterfall,Donegal town and Killybegs .

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

On the way to Slieve League you have Bundoran and Rossnowlagh, both worth visiting. In the Omagh direction you also have the Ulster American Folk Park a great day out and the younger members will really enjoy it. Don't miss a chance to visit Enniskillen Castle itself.

http://www.enniskillencastle.co.uk/

https:/…Home.aspx

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
6. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

why avoid the parades I am no fan of them personally but lots of tourists now attend the parades in July in Belfast as it is something different and nothing they have seen before so i say to people go see them, 99.9% of them pass off peacefully.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
1 post
325 reviews
7. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Hi Laurence,

In Fermanagh, go see the view from Lough Navar viewpoint, then drive to Glencar in Co. Sligo, perhaps stopping off at Mullaghmore on your way home. The round trip should take only a few hours, and includes some of Ireland's grandest scenery.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
603 reviews
8. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

These syggestions are great. Wondering if we are goibg for long enough now.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

"Will this include the 12th? You may wish to include or avoid the parades, but it is worth being aware of them"

The OP states that it will be the end of July so the main event will have passed. Not a fan of the parades myself although it is marching season so they will be hard to avoid wherever you go. As Captainplanet says, Fermanagh has so much to offer and plenty to keep you busy, my favourite county, personally.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
603 reviews
10. Re: First time in Northern Ireland (July)

Thanks for all the advice. Printing out a map and trying to plan our days out. So much to see and do. Maybe book another 2 days to try to fit it all in.

Reply to: First time in Northern Ireland (July)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Enniskillen