We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car accident

Which Enniskillen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
8 posts
Save Topic
car accident

my husband was in a horrible car accident while there recently, police will not give us a police report how can we get on treated him horribly ...he did not remember anything can anyone give me advice we are home now finally when they let him leave....thanks

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car accident

They give an incident number and contact name of constable who attended the scene. the incident number is all the insurance company will ask for plus insurance details of other party. Does he have the incident number? Did he take any photos?

Edited: 13 January 2013, 22:37
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car accident

Please write in logical English.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car accident

Hi Laura,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband and glad he's home and on the mend. However, your post has me confused.

When the accident occurred, was your husband taken to hospital? Is this why he can't remember anything? In this case, what happened to the car? If he was taken to hospital then someone must have had to deal with the car. Also, if he were injured sufficiently to require hospitalisation then I imagine the police would have been involved.

Do you have details of the other party involved or was it a single-vehicle accident? If it was single-vehicle and property was damaged (other vehicle, house, mail box etc.) then I imagine the police would be called to that, too, in order to contact the owner.

If you have no details at all, then I'd start with the station local to where the accident occurred and see if they can help.

You say "treated him horribly" and "finally when they let him leave" - is this medical treatment (i.e. he could not leave because he was unfit to fly) or police (i.e. he could not leave as they suspected some sort of negligence)?

Also you say "police will not give us a police report" - this suggests that you have requested one and it has been denied. Is this the case? Did they give you a reason why they would not give you a report? Is the accident subject to some sort of ongoing investigation? Could this be the reason?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car accident

AussieGirl86

then I imagine the police would have been involved.

------------

Almost certainly. The OP poster should contact the Police station.

As with most incidents involving the Police the scene is initially treated as a crime scene (the accident might have been caused through drinking and driving etc). It's one reason roads are sometimes shut for hours. Evidence collection.

As for being treated horribly. There is nothing to stop the patient going to a private hospital....always assuming there was medical insurance. Of course, if no insurance, who is going to be picking up the hospital bill? Foreigners do have to pay for treatment

Charleston, South...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car accident

I will try to be more clear....my husband was driving down a driveway to turn right to go into another driveway to pick me up it was about 5 yards away to the house next door to we were going to leave to go to the chapel up the street i was not with him he was alone in the car, there were no witnesses he must of been going about 15 mph he had to go a very short way, the car that hit him had two people the driver was completely fine. the passenger in that car sustained a fractured ankle. for the record there was no alcohol involved. It took the medics over two hours to get him out of the car. he was rushed to the hospital his injuries were 3 broken ribs complicated wrist fracture a major concussion and possible damage to his ankle severe bruising on his face. he stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I stayed with the brides family the police would call and come to see him a lot the drs said he was not fit to be interviewed. when he got out of the hospital we arranged a interview with the ennskillian police. we hired a solicitor that was present also at the interview. they arrested him we gave bail and said there would be court. mind you my husband does not even remember getting into a car, dr said he was in a coma at times and that is normal that he has no memory. the charge was careless driving. the day after we left the interview and he was charged they called and said they were upping the charge to careless driving with harm to another with a severe fine and jail time. Mind you at the first interview they said they would only be with him for 30 minutes they kept him for almost 3 hours he could barely walk, he was so weak. My son flew to ireland and called the us consolete and the us embassy that was a sunday by monday morning the constable called again and said that all charges had been dropped that he was to go to the police station to sign a form that he was charged with a caution and got his bail money and that they would not take his passport and that he could leave. he asked for a copy of the police report they said he could have the claim number to the report but could not have a copy of the report or anything he signed. they did and would not give him a reason. the solicitor said he has never seen anything like it and donnot understand why they treated my husband this way. we were given NO information on if the other driver was charged, we do know he was speeding horribly ie why my husbands car was completely totaled and he was severly hurt. I am so glad for the help from the us embassy they said if they did not release my husband they would send someone from there to represent and help us. we were told from locals it was all about money. im presently looking into representation to hold these people accountable for what they put my husband through.....any comments would be helpful i hope i answered all you questions ....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,957 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car accident

Laura, was your husband driving a hire car, and if so, what do the company say?

And was there legal coverage on the insurance?

(You also need to start using full stops and paragraphs. Its impossible to read your posts).

Charleston, South...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car accident

I will try to be more clear....my husband was driving down a driveway to turn right to go into another driveway to pick me up it was about 5 yards away to the house next door to we were going to leave to go to the chapel up the street i was not with him he was alone in the car, there were no witnesses he must of been going about 15 mph he had to go a very short way, the car that hit him had two people the driver was completely fine. the passenger in that car sustained a fractured ankle. for the record there was no alcohol involved. It took the medics over two hours to get him out of the car. he was rushed to the hospital his injuries were 3 broken ribs complicated wrist fracture a major concussion and possible damage to his ankle severe bruising on his face. he stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I stayed with the brides family the police would call and come to see him a lot the drs said he was not fit to be interviewed. when he got out of the hospital we arranged a interview with the ennskillian police. we hired a solicitor that was present also at the interview. they arrested him we gave bail and said there would be court. mind you my husband does not even remember getting into a car, dr said he was in a coma at times and that is normal that he has no memory. the charge was careless driving. the day after we left the interview and he was charged they called and said they were upping the charge to careless driving with harm to another with a severe fine and jail time. Mind you at the first interview they said they would only be with him for 30 minutes they kept him for almost 3 hours he could barely walk, he was so weak. My son flew to ireland and called the us consolete and the us embassy that was a sunday by monday morning the constable called again and said that all charges had been dropped that he was to go to the police station to sign a form that he was charged with a caution and got his bail money and that they would not take his passport and that he could leave. he asked for a copy of the police report they said he could have the claim number to the report but could not have a copy of the report or anything he signed. they did and would not give him a reason. the solicitor said he has never seen anything like it and donnot understand why they treated my husband this way. we were given NO information on if the other driver was charged, we do know he was speeding horribly ie why my husbands car was completely totaled and he was severly hurt. I am so glad for the help from the us embassy they said if they did not release my husband they would send someone from there to represent and help us. we were told from locals it was all about money. im presently looking into representation to hold these people accountable for what they put my husband through.....any comments would be helpful i hope i answered all you questions ....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,957 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car accident

Laura, you still haven't referred to my questions.

NOR have you translated your post into a legible and easily understood format.

Charleston, South...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: car accident

I am sorry for my writing.....I have not slept in days and have major nightmares every day it is by far the worst thing i have ever gone through in my life....maybe you could write in on sentences what your questions are...

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car accident

Laura, press the "enter" or return" key once in a while. That breaks your slab of text into something readable.

Then omit ALL unnecessary details. For example, it doesn't matter and no one cares if "you were going to the chapel up the road". Nor is it relevant to anything that you "stayed with the brides family".

Then say what it is you actually want which as far as I can discern you don't mention.

Then use your holiday or household insurance to arrange legal assistance if needed to get whatever it is you want. And if your comment is you want opinions, then that last sentence is my opinion.

Get answers to your questions about Enniskillen