We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bude without driving

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bude without driving

I've been invited down to an Adventure Weekend in Bude (well, Widemouth Bay to be precise) next April and I'm trying to work out the best way of getting there from London.

Ideally I don't want to drive as I'll be the only one coming from London and I know that there will be a fair amount of alcohol being consumed over the weekend so don't fancy taking on a monster drive if I'm feeling tricky.

Options that I've looked at so far are a train from London to Exeter St. Davids then the 599 bus to Bude, or a flight from Gatwick to Newquay and then make up the rest of the journey in a mini cab.

Can anyone that has done this journey before let me know the best and, more importantly, cheapest option to go for? How much is a single on the 599 from Exeter to Bude and how much would a cab from Newquay Airport to Widemouth Bay cost?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Widemouth Bay
Widemouth Bay
Bude-Stratton, UK
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bude without driving

Newquay airport to Widemouth Bay is around a 45min to 1 hour drive so would be pretty expensive for a taxi.

I would imagine the train/bus option would be a fair bit cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Widemouth Bay
Widemouth Bay
Bude-Stratton, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bude without driving

Is there a coach that runs between Newquay and Bude? I found a taxi firm that had £45 each way for that journey. I had a look at some bus maps but it looked like it would take 4 different buses to make the journey!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bude without driving

The bus from Exeter is the easiest way if its times are convenient

Don't know the fare but you could call the company

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/contact.php

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bude without driving

The 599 bus may not be the best bus to get from Exeter to Bude - you will probably be better off using the X9 which runs more frequently - see cornwallpublictransport.info/pdf_tts/X9_Firs… .

When you get to Bude you will need to take bus 518 or 595 to Widemouth Bay - see www.westerngreyhound.com/routes_and_times.php for timetables.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Widemouth Bay
Widemouth Bay
Bude-Stratton, UK
5. Re: Getting to Bude without driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Bude
Recent Conversations