We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the New Forest

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the New Forest

I would like to visit the New Forest for 2-3 days. I would be travelling by train from London and it seems that either Brockenhurst or Lymington are the best places to base myself. As I will not have a car, which is the best town to stay in terms of getting out and about to do walks and see some of the forest.

6 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,699 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the New Forest

If you are going in July, August or September you might find this useful:

http://www.thenewforesttour.info/

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the New Forest

Just in case you didn't realise the New Forest has a number of different landscapes I.e. it's not all forest. In fact, large parts of it are open headland, grass and marshes. No less beautiful for all that but if you are staying in one of the towns you may have to travel to some of the "forest" areas.

As for towns I think Lyndhurst is the nicest to stay as it's central and has reasonable connections. Beaulieu is very lovely too but possibly a bit out of the way without your own transport.

Check out this link

thenewforest.co.uk/information/travel-around…

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the New Forest

Travelling by train I would agree that Brockenhurst and Lymington are the best choices since they have stations, a good range of accommodation and scenic walks.

As suggested by wirewiper the tour bus would a good way to get around to see the forest but it only has a fairly short season.

You can also rent bikes near Brockenhurst station (including electric bikes and electric cars!) www.newforestcyclehire.co.uk/prices-info/ - there are many cycle routes through the forest.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 11:32
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the New Forest

I wrote a long reply but my phone froze and lost it :-(

Brockenhurst is right in the unfenced forest. The forest animals come to you (most commonly found in the middle of the road). But some of the forest is open heathland. It's not all dense woodland.

There is an open top tour bus from Brockenhurst in summer

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the New Forest

Thanks to everyone who have replied to my post. Unfortunately I will miss the tour bus as I am visiting the UK in May. The ideas and suggestions have been most helpful :)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the New Forest

May is a good time to come to the New Forest as everything will have just started growing with the onset of spring... Brockenhurst is ideal if you want to enjoy long walks, and feel the freedom of the Forest, whilst Lymington has more to do.. a cinema, the marina, more pubs, and places to eat and some nice walks out towards Pennington.

From Lymington you can also get the ferry over to the Isle of Wight and back.

If you just want to be away from it all, quiet, with just the Forest, three pubs and a couple restaurants then choose Brockenhurst, if you want more nightlife, things to do if it rains then choose Lymington.

Reply to: Visiting the New Forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brockenhurst