We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

london
Level Contributor
214 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

We're planning on coming to Dorset for Christmas, and have seen some nice cottages in both Weymouth and Portland. Is Portland a bit bleak in the winter? Is it best to stay in Weymouth?

Dorset
Level Contributor
228 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

IMO Weymouth would be better than Portland. Yes Portland can be bleak in the winter. You may also want to consider other seaside towns - Swanage or Lyme Regis.

london
Level Contributor
214 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

Thanks for that - I thought Weymouth because it was more central, Lyme to the west and Swanage to the east - so looking forward to it!

Herts.
Level Contributor
2 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

Having recently spent a holiday based in Somerset but visiting largely Dorset and Devon, I would say steer clear of Dorset. Devon is such a welcoming place, cheap parking, nice public toilets and lovely people. Dorset is completely the opposite - exhoribant parking (have to pay for a full day even if you stop for 20 minutes), stainless steel, filithy toilets and unwelcoming people. Weymouth is impossible to park in.

I saw that Weymouth Chamber of Commerce recognises that the town receives several hundred thousand disabled vistors per year. However, like the whole county it treats them disgracefully - virtually nowhere to park, no concessions on parking, etc. In other words, they want their cash don't actually care about them. Sums up the whole attitude to tourists that must eminate from the county council.

In summary, in my opinion, lovely countryside but the most shameful place in the UK when it comes to welcoming visitors and especially disabled ones.

If I were you, I'd go somewhere nice.

Edited: 04 September 2010, 21:13
Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

Most of this is above post is nonsense. Parking is by the hour, there is free parking if you know where. Most guest houses have (limited) permit parking.

In the Winter, Weymouth would be a far better choice than Portland, but it really depends on what you want from things.

Herts.
Level Contributor
2 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

The above poster in entitled to their opinion. I spoke as I found and stand by my comments.

6. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 16:06
england
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

everyone is entitled to their view - but it is a surprising one. I've been to Weymouth quite often and while parking in the centre is difficult there are large car parks slightly out of the centre. It's a pretty flat town and I've seen cars with disabled badges in the centre. The toilets are not brilliant but I've been in worse.

Weymouth/ Portland isn't my favourite bit of Dorset but its good for holidays with small children or for those without their own transport - railway station is pretty central. Also good for wind-surfing and bird-watchers - but unless you're a birder stay in Weymouth rather than Portland.

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
3 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

we have just come back from weymouth we stayed in a holiday flat a few mins from town, they had parking there so left the car all week and went to surrounding towns on the bus, found the people there were very friendly and can't wait to go back next year

london
Level Contributor
214 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

Thank you (I think) for all your comments. Unfortunately, Dorset will have to wait, as, having visited north Norfolk for the weekend recently, we decided to go there instead. I'm thinking Dorset in early summer instead!

10. Re: Weymouth or Portland for Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 08:33
Get answers to your questions about Weymouth
Recent Conversations