We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

Hi staying at Weymouth for a week in the summer and looking for days out from there for a couple with a car. We like scenery, gardens, castles that sort of thing. Any ideas most welcome. We have some ideas but just asking before compile an itinerary. Thank you.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 23:19
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

The coastal routes are very scenic in both directions. Portland., chessil beach., lyme regis., plenty to do and see!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

Not exactly what you have asked for, Tyneham Village is very interesting but only open on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Monkey World is a nice day out and visiting them helps with their charity.

Corfe Castle.

Athelhampton House and Gardens

Don't forget Nothe Fort in Weymouth itself.

www.isleofpurbeck.com/tyneham.html

www.monkeyworld.org

http://corfe-castle.co.uk/

http://www.athelhampton.co.uk/

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

we went to Weymouth three years in a row and found lots to do, we once went to Jersey for the day on the fastcat!

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

Thanks for the ideas. How long is the Weymouth to Jersey crossing please?

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

You might want to look at Abbotsbury Swannery and sub-tropical gardens. It's very beautiful out there.

I've lived in Weymouth my whole life so anything else you might be wondering just feel free to ask.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

Hi there,if u like gardens I can recommend visiting Bennetts Water Gardens,2 miles drive from Weymouth.Lots to see inc a repilca of the bridge at Monet's house in France.Also a museum,restaurant,cafe etc.,It's open 6 days a wk (not Sats) from 10am-5pm.Website is [www.bennettswatergardens.com]

Also worth visiting I think and not to far from Weymouth is Lulworth Castle & park,village of Lulworth with it's famous cove and Durdle Door which is wonderful to see.Took my breath away the 1st time I saw it.Google any of these and a site will come up for them with photos etc.,

Hav a g8t hol in this luvly part of the UK......

Dorset
Level Contributor
231 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

I was just about to recommend Abbotsbury sub tropical gardens! Also in Abbotsbury a walk up to St Catherines chapel will give you some lovely views.

Other places you may be interested in are Portland Castle, Blue Pool, Durdle Door and Golden cap (between Lyme Regis & Bridport - the highest cliff on the south coast)

Some scenic villages are Milton Abbas, Cerne Abbas, Sydling St Nicholas.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

The Jersey crossing is about 3.5 hours each way, and gives about the same time on the island. The crossing to Guernsey is about an hour less and therfore gives 2 hours longer to explore. They are of course on the same ferry.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

I would recommend all of the places previously mentioned, in addition maybe to consider are the National Trust properties Kingston Lacey & Badbury Rings (Nr Wimborne) -,, Clouds Hill - a tiny cottage near the tank museum - once home of TE Lawrence ( of Lawrence of Arabia fame) - this can be incorporated with a visit to the tanks, or monkey world. and also you could do the Hardy trail. Thomas Hardy Cottage and Max Gate - both houses he lived in, and both near Dorchester. All these are National Trust properties.Also why not visit West Bay near Bridport - as seen in tv series Broadchurch. Driving there from Weymouth along the Coast road, the views are amazing. Looks to me like you wont have enough time here and will have to come back.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,287 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dorset days out ideas from Weymouth

I'd also recommend a trip to Swanage, stop off in Corfe Castle on the way and visit the ruined castle.

You could even park your car at Norden and ride the steam train into Swanage.

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/

Edited: 05 May 2013, 17:56
Get answers to your questions about Weymouth