We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

Which Weymouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

I am planning to go this weekend to see Durdle Door. I will be travelling by train from London. My question is what is the best way to get there by bus? Are there buses operatig on Sunday? Is it better to get off at Wool to catch a bus or Weymouth? I have found there is a bus operating X43 but it does not say if it operates on Sundays.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,895 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

The X43 runs daily, 20th July to 1st September 2013.

buscms.com/WDSouth/…route_X43_web.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

Thanks a lot wirewiper :) I guess from the timetable it is better to get off at Wool and catch a bus there.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

definitely, get off at wool and catch X43.If you check the timetables for the train and bus, you may be lucky and find you don't have to wait too long, For Durdle Door, you can either get off at the camp site and walk through, or get off at Lulworth Cove and walk along the coast path (it is quite steep) to it. (The cove is worth a visit anyway) Have a great time, tho I'm not sure that the weather will be at its best. (Sunday best day I thnk)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

I have made my trip with a friend last Sunday. As advised we got off at Wool and there was a Taxi waiting so he collected 7 people and took us to Lulworth Cove. It was really cheap as it came to only £3 per head. The bus was in an hour so there was no point waiting. Lulworth Cove was amazing, such a crystal clear water! We took a clif walk around and then headed to Durdle Door. I could not believe it is England, it all looked so exotic. We were quite unlucky with a return as we thought the bus stop for X43 bus will be near a car park but it was after the camping side on a hill so we missed last bus to Wool and had to take one to Weymouth. I believe the bus service should be more frequent during holiday period and it should not finish round 17.30, otherwise the place is really worth visit and I will definitely be back soon.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

glad you enjoyed your visit, it certainly is beautiful there The X43 bus only runs in the summer holidays, next weekend is its last. It is on the list to be axed completely next summer, so you may have problems in future, if this is the case. I hope it carries on as when we have been on it, there are always lots of walkers using it as they want to do linear walks along the coast, so cant take a car. when you come back, I suggest you check the website above, beforehand, or why not stay at the campsite?

6. Re: Getting to Durdle Door on Sunday by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Weymouth
Recent Conversations