We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night 2 days Lake District

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 night 2 days Lake District

I will be touring the UK with my wife and two teenagers by car and we will be in Chester, and from there we just have 1 night and 2 days to spend on the weekend in the Lake District in mid-August. Given the limited time we have is there one town that anyone can recommend we stay in and are there any good hotels or B&B's in that town. Keswick was recommnended by a friend who said its walking distance to the lake and seems to be centrally located. Any suggestions?

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night 2 days Lake District

You have two main choices for close proximity to a lake. Bowness on Windermer (and the nearby Windermere) offers all the tourist necessities - boat trips, walks along the lakeside, shops, cafes etc etc, BUT is very busy in the summer months and a little too 'tacky' (in the nicest sense!) for my liking. Personally, I would go for Keswick. Beautiful lakeside walks, parks and gardens, trips on the lake on smaller more personal cruises, stunning mountain backdrops, and a nice little town within 10 minutes walk of the lakeside. Generally quieter and less touristy, Keswick is more popular with hill walkers too. I love it!!

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night 2 days Lake District

Hi

I can honestly say that Kirkwood Guest House is a lovely place to spend a night. It is between Windermemre and Bowness so both places are easily accessible for your evening meal.

WACT is right in saying that Bowness is "tacky", but it is a good evening base and only a short drive out to the fells where you can get away from the crowds a bit and is on the lake edge.

Good luck with finding a place and let us know what you think of the Lakes.

Cheers

NS

3. Re: 1 night 2 days Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Bowness-on-Windermere