We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

Which Bowness-on-Windermere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

I don't know what you lot normally eat but there are no good Fish & Chip Shops in Windermere or Bowness.

Being local I will attempt to give an unbiased view of the places I have eaten in over the past year.

Trattoria - Crap food and ingredients.

Lamplighters - Best battered fried fish in the area (Chips frozen catering type insipid & dry) Large menu

not changed in 20 years- good cooked food.

Francines trys hard, good if you like your food swimming in sauces.

Jericho's - 1st class cooking & ingredients.

Indians Restaurants- Prince of India & Emperor of India

All food tastes the same from basic sauces -Kendal Indian restaurants better.

Chinese Restaurants - All clones of each other not cheap anymore (Example -Starter- Salt & Pepper Spare Ribs £7.50) Now deep fried for conveniance.

Roberto's Upped his game, excellent food & ingrediants.

Hyltons (Formally Gibby's) Name changed but same crap food.

Sol Bar (Spanish?) Tapas! Crappas! All food catering packs. Listen for the Microwave PING! and your food follows 5 seconds later. This place same owners as Gibbys, The Ship Inn, & Wheelhouse - portion control

minimum on plate- maximum in bank!

Villa Positano - Good quality Meat & Fish dishes and as usual Italians can't cook veg for toffee.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

We ate the restaurant at the Old England in Bowness at the weekend, the service and food was very good, although I was disappointed that they had run out of fillet steak, and the views over the lake from the restaurant were superb.

Mind you, it's pricey like most things in top hotels.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 00:39
Liverpool
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

We ended up eating in Postilions, it was top drawer.

Food was spot on, good service and was reasonably price at approx £30 a head, given we had several drinks with 2 courses and a couple of deserts.

UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

The previous two years we have stayed in Bowness for about 3 days. We've always had nice food and as far as I can remember good service.

We ate at Hyltons once - it was nice but on our second night we went to Rumours and on our return visit we went there twice. Both myself and my OH love Rumours.

We also tried both the Chinese restaurants in that little area of Bowness. One was absolutely lovely the one on main stretch of road. The other (next to vinegar jones) was ok but I'd go to the other Chinese restaurant first.

Our first stop off when we arrive in the Lakes is to go to Daisy's cafe in Ambleside. The food there is nice but quite dear to be honest for normal cafe food.

We also had our lunch once in the Ship Inn, decent pub grub.

Love the drinks in Sol Bar, my OH is determined to get through there beer list. Nice little place to sit and have a drink. Have never ate the food there so can't comment on that.

lytham uk
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

Isn't it about time this thread was closed or started afresh - since the original post was nearly three years ago?!

I came to have a look in the forums as am visiting Bowness next weekend and will probably want to eat somewhere. I'm not sure I would have paid 100% attention to such a negative critique obviously out to stir up controversy - but since it's now nearly 3 years out of date surely it can largely now be discounted.

It seems misleading for this still to be open.

35. Re: Restaraunts Bowness & Windermere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Bowness-on-Windermere
Recent Conversations
More Bowness-on-Windermere Topics