We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family friendly walk

Which Bowness-on-Windermere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool England
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
family friendly walk

we will be staying in bowness with our 10 year old boys & wondering does anyone know any family friendly walks not too strenuous ?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: family friendly walk

If you head a bit out of the area by car or on the 555 bus to Keswick I rercommend a nice walk around Rydal Water following the River Rothey to Grasmere. As you follow the banks of the river through the woods, you'll be on the flat. Alternatevely I do enjoy the walk from Grasmere village to Easedale Tarn. You follow the road out of the village towards the YHA then it turns into a stoney path following Easedale beck. Even if it's a bit too long of a walk you could hike to the foot of the hill rather than climb up to the tarn. From below you can rest on the rocks and admire the waterfall.

If you do want to climb a hill then continue to Keswick and Derwentwater and take a look at Cat Bells. It's one of the easier climbs in the area.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: family friendly walk

Thanks for your quick reply..really helpful

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family friendly walk

Hi

If you haven't got transport, go over on the Ferry near Windermere Marina, and on the right is an area called Harrowslack, a really nice walk along the shore of the Lake.

If you have got transport Tarn Hows is a must.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family friendly walk

Orrest Head is a nice short walk. Follow the finger post next to the Windermere Hotel. A tarmac road leads up through the woods and becomes a path near the top. You get a superb full length view of Windermere and a panorama of the fells as well as wide views in the opposite direction to the Dales and the Bowland Fells. You should be up and down in less than an hour.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: family friendly walk

Hi

Have you done your walks yet? I visit Bowness regularly with my teenage kids and there are a few walks we've done recently that I could share with you .........I best one we have just done last week which wasn't stenuous at all was around Rydal Lake coming up to Loughrigg terrace with fab views across to Grasmere.......we also got the car ferry across the lake (not in the car but as walking passengers) and we had a lovely afternoon walking alongside the lake looking across to Bowness.

Did you want to walk from Bowness or are you happy to get into the car? Have you been before?

regards

Chris

6. Re: family friendly walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bowness-on-Windermere
Recent Conversations