We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Someone must know !

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Someone must know !

Please help, time is running out. We are staying for the weekend in Durham next week & trying to find a suitable place to eat. My husband has a food allergy and can't eat anything that contains flour so no pizza, pasta, bread,cakes or sauces that are thickened with flour. We need at least 2 places to eat (one would be our aniversary). Usually Indian food is ok but not Chines (the noodle & soy sauce are the problem).

Please, please,please can anyone advise of places we can eat?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Someone must know !

There are regular posts on here advising people to go to the Ceoliac's Society web site, which has links to 'approved' places. I see they sell a directory of places to eat for £10.

coeliac.org.uk/glutenfree_living/…default.asp

This might help you as you travel round the country.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Someone must know !

search for posts with 'gluten free'.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Someone must know !

I have already tried this option without much sucess but thank you for trying to help. I had hoped that people who lived locally with the same problem could point us in the right direction. Here's hoping.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Someone must know !

Unfortunately the only posts in the durham forum with gluten free is the one I have posted but hopefully there is still time for some other replies. Many thanks for your suggestion.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Someone must know !

What I'm saying is that it might be worth investing in a book telling you where you can eat gluten free food, as this will come up every time you go away.

I did a search (on the UK forum) and found this very ggod thread by emparr, which links to a site giving details of restaurants.

==============================

I've started this gluten free topic, so that fundamental information is readily available for visiting & UK based Coeliacs. I've positioned this in the London forum as it's the most active & most visitors stay within the London area, AND it will cascade up through the UK forums - pragmatic approach.

Please add any GF information or experiences you like to share with others, from products to cafes to B&Bs to suppliers to pharmacists carrying GF stuffs.

As a courtesy, could you take extended banter to another topic, so the FAQ quotient remains high - I don't want to be the rotter asking TA to delete posts. I'd really like this topic to be London/UK/Coeliac travel focused.

First place to start is the Coeliac Society website. As a visitor to the UK, it may be worth joining so that you have the up-to-date product list.

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/

There's a new link:

http://www.gluten-free-onthego.com/

which has

Hotel & Accomodation;

Restaurants & pubs;

Takeaways & fast foods;

Cafes & coffee shops.

=====================================

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k537…

Seek and ye shall find.......

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Someone must know !

There are two nice indian's on Claypath called Rajpooth and the Capital

On the same road is also a place called Oldfield's which is supposed to be very nice (I haven't eaten there) here is their website: http://www.oldfieldsrestaurants.com/ they list the menus on there but if that doesn't tell you the info you need you could give them a call.

Hope this helps and you have a nice weekend.

7. Re: Someone must know !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations