We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just thought....

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Just thought....

I'd post here cause no one else has!!! Durham's a lovely place to visit....why does no one come here?

Durham, England
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just thought....

Ssssh!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just thought....

I visited Durham, particularly for its cathedral. I also enjoyed the lovely walk along the river. It didn't help that it was cloudy and raining that day, but I'm sure in sunshine the city would be much more crowded.

St. George UT
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just thought....

Thanks for the invitation; I'll be coming to see Durham the middle of May. So far, have only seen it from the train but it looks absolutely lovely. Any specific suggestions for a train traveler who will be on foot?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just thought....

I think I must've been there on the same day as LeeB!

Unfortunately the further north I went the heavier the rain got.

The cathedral is lovely though and I had the good fortune of being able to take one of the castle tours which was very interesting and well worth the time.

www.durhamcastle.com/

Anyone going to Durham by car could drive the extra 20 minutes north to Gateshead and see the Angel of the North.Do a Google for 'Angel of the North'.

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just thought....

This summer we are planning to do self catering for 1 week just south of Durham. We have never been in this area and we are very excited. Any MUST See places!

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just thought....

Agree with Sshhh. Most would prefer to keep Durham and the surrouning area a secret. yes it rains the further you go north. However, the Cathedral is the best example of its kind in the uk and still retains it reverence as a religious building. The Northumberland coast and surrounding area is an unmissable historical experience. Would advise any uk traveller to read Bill Bryson. "Notes from a small island"

Durham, England
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just thought....

The Castle (though bettter outside term-time, of course, since it's used as a univ residence otherwise).

The Cathedral.

The Botanical Gardens (just outside the city centre, near Grey College).

The Oriental Museum (run by the univ).

The DLI Museum.

The theatre is, I am afraid, not up to much (unless you're into tribute bands). There is the occasional thing worth seeing.

Plenty of river walks.

Wandering around the city. Durham is very easy to get around on foot because it's very compact.

A few decent and reasonably-priced restaurants - what do you like?

Don't come for shopping. There is the Metro Centre, but I prefer Newcastle, which is worth a visit in its own right.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just thought....

I'm with the previous poster - go to Newcastle shopping, the Metro Centre is good if it's raining but lacks atmosphere.

My favourite restaurant is the Hide Bar on the street up towards the Cathedral, if you're on a budget there are a couple of all you can eat chinese's too - Groovy I'd be interested in any more recommendations you have as I've not lived here that long myself!

I love the view as you come in by train at night with the cathedral and castle all lit up!

Durham, England
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just thought....

ljg

For Italian, have you tried Bistro Italiano on Claypath, and Giovanni & Fabio's on Saddler Street?

I've always liked the Kwai Lam, again on Saddler Street, for Chinese.

Numjal has a very reasonable business lunch if you like Thai.

There's an Indian restaurant out in the wilds of Belmont called Zafflong which is quite good. It shares the Sportsman's Rest pub.

I can vouch for all of the above.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just thought....

I like Numjai's :) I will definately try the others mentioned - I love Italian and Indian - what am I saying I love food!!! Thanks :)

Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations