We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a bit disappointed with Durham

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
a bit disappointed with Durham

We visited Durham for the first time today - and were a bit disappointed with it. We had expected to fine it a bit like York - but with hills. Apart from the Cathedral, we didn't fine much of interest. It seemed VERY dirty and run down - so many buildings needing a good clean up and coat of paint. Very few interesting or attractive shops, very few attractive cafes and restaurants - most of the ones with outdoor seating meant actually sitting at unattractive metal tables with the pavement covered in litter and dirt. Even the entrance to Marks and Spencers was filthy! We found a really horrible shopping centre - The Gates - not at all in keeping with a heritage site - just ugly and "cheap". Am I being unfair or am I missing something? We have been to may cathedral towns but just found Durham to be so disappointing and not at all what we expected - it seems the present town does not do justice to itself , to its history, to its architecture and to what it could be. Does anyone else agree?

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
lancaster uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

Well just returned from visiting Durham and area and agree with the. Magimax comments.Disappionted shoppng experience ,chain stores ,shabby.

apart from heritage site which was excellent

When the new theatre was built there could have been a great opportunity to make the area more in keeping with the heritage site instead of all chain eateries. Disappointed went home early.

Can recommend ZEN Asian food restaurant though,in nice area with nice old original pubs.near courts

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

There is a recession on up North you know! It has hit really hard and has affected many places badly. You don't see it nearly so much in the South, particularly in places like Bath. If you wander a bit off the main area of York you will also see grubby areas and lots of closed down shops. Tourism does make a difference to a place and ill thought out and unnecessary criticism that might prevent people from visiting is not going to help the economic recovery. Stay down south if you don't want to see the harsh end of government cuts.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
lancaster uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

Sorry but it is our opinion and not changing it.I live' up north' (within a hour travel away.),so see the problems everyday. I would like to say to anyone visiting. Nice friendly people in Durham, if you like history worth a visit, that is my last and a final comment.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

I'm coming to lumiere next week, totally excited and driving a fair way to get there. I have been to Durham before and was impressed by the community feel of the town so I'm looking forward to exploring some more.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Newcastle, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

I studied in Durham 25 years ago and the city has changed a great deal in that time. Not always for the best admittedly but it is a real city not a tourist theme park. The people who live and work in the area shop and eat there week in week out and so, the city reflects them and their needs perhaps more than tourists who are welcome but transitory.

As to the lack of outside seating or the quality of the seat. This is the north east of England, it is more often cold and wet than not.

Oh and litter is something people drop. The council can only do so much.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

I live 10 miles from Durham and over the years I have seen the demise of what was once a beautiful City. I blame this on the powers to be who allowed all the inappropriately development of the area over the last few years. Durham was once a fabulous place to visit… full of individual, unique shops -had an abundance of character and it was always spotless. There is still plenty to see in the way of architecture, history and memorable places but these have been overshadowed by the more mundane, big corporate shops etc. It is such a shame, I was there on Sunday afternoon and it has definitely lost its magic - North Road has become a dingy dirty place… Such a shame - I still love Durham but it has lost its magic for me… in my humble opinion...

Edited: 18 November 2013, 23:10
Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Durham, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

I live on the outskirts of Durham and visit the centre most days. Sadly I can only agree with all that you say, the pavements are covered in chewing gum and indeed the many lovely buildings are in need of a coat of paint, perhaps because they are student accommodation.

The decline in the centre has been gradual, but the ill advised revamp of the market place and surrounding streets has only enhanced this decline.

I am sorry that your visit to my city has been so disappointing , perhaps in the future you will have a better experience.

I can only hope.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Durham, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

It has nothing to do with the recession .

We spent £5 M on the market square and surrounding streets and all we have is seats that are uncomfortable plus paving stones that are uneven anddangerous.

Durham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

So you just visited some shops then

You did not even look a Durham there is a lot you missed

I have lived near Durham for 12 years now,the streets are a bit littered on a market day but

Not very often at all. In fact one of the cleanest cities know, You don't see people sitting in shop door ways begging sitting in pools of their own filth.

You missed the riverside, the historic Alleyways

The parks the museums the botanic gardens the castle the bailey the the town hall in the market place

The market place the universities just to name a few,

I am a southerner but proud of living up north it is clean and friendly

As for m and s enterance bei g dirty i highly doubt it.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
20. Re: a bit disappointed with Durham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 21:35
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations