We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
58 posts
405 reviews
Save Topic
How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

Hello everyone,

We'll be in Durham for about three hours and would like to know if that time would be enough to pay a visit to Durham Cathedral and Durham Castle.

Of course we understand anyone could spend a whole day visiting any particular place depending on their interests but we would like to know your opinion.

Please keep in mind it will be Sunday.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Durham Cathedral
Durham Cathedral
5,535 Reviews
Durham, UK
Durham Castle
Durham Castle
993 Reviews
Durham, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

You will need to check if the cathedral is open to visitors on Sundays. Many British churches are closed to non-worshipers on Sundays or open limited hours. We spent about an hour or 2 when we visited last autumn and managed to see the monks' dormitory and cloister as well as the cathedral itself. OH climbed the tower, but I have a fear of heights, so I spent more time poking around the catheral.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

See www.durhamcathedral.co.uk ; www.durhamwhs.com ; and durham.ac.uk for more information.

Yes, three hours would suffice in which to walk from the car parks (near the river), through the Market Place and up to Palace Green; admire the castle from the outside (no time for a guided tour); visit the cathedral and walk back - possibly via the South Bailey, Prebend's Bridge and the footpath alongside the river (fine views of the cathedral above) to Framwellgate bridge.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

Hello & welcome to the Durham forum

Three hours will be enough time to visit the Cathedral, but as mentioned in the above post no time to visit the Castle as well - as entrance to the Castle is by guided tour only at fixed times.

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

There are services in the Cathedral most of Sunday morning, then Evensong starts at 3.30pm so you will need to time it right. Visitors can enter the building any time during opening hours but they aren't allowed to walk down the aisle while there's a service in progress unless they are attending the service. You will still be able to visit the Galilee Chapel and cloisters while the service is in progress.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
58 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

Thank you very much for all your help and advice!

Have a wonderful day!

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

When you go to the Cathedral don't miss going up to the top of the tower. It's a long climb but worth the effort!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
58 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

I hope we have the chance to climb as I read on wikitravel "(...)and the tower from 1000 - 1530 (closed during services, in inclement weather and all day on Sunday)" and we will be there on Sunday :(

If it's open we'll definitely give it a try ;)

Thanks!!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

Pausilypon's advice about walking back along the river is excellent--the view up to the front of the cathedral is iconic. (I spent half an hour huddled over my camera in the drizzle a few years ago waiting for the sun to come out, all in vain!)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
58 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

Thank you once again for your help!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time would you allow for visiting the Cathedral?

If you are there during a service make time to listen to the choir.

Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations