We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paignton zoo

manchester england
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Paignton zoo

We are at present staying in Cockington and have promised to take the grandchildren to Paignton zoo. It is hot and sunny and school holidays so we know it will be busy, but wonder if Saturday may be a less busy day as it is "change-over day" when many visitors arrive or depart.Any comments from those familiar with the zoo would be most welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Cockington
Cockington
225 Reviews
Torquay, UK
Paignton
Paignton
English Riviera, UK
Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paignton zoo

At this time of year (school holidays), and in good weather, every day is pretty busy at the Zoo....Saturdays and Sundays probably even more so because many of the locals will visit on those days

ATB,J.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paignton zoo

I took someone that was visiting me about 5 weeks ago on a Saturday, we arrived at about 11am and spent over 20 mins waiting to pay to get in, bound to be even busier now that all the kids are off school.

I'd suggest buying your tickets online, you can then go straight to the ticket desk to the right of all the poor buggers like me lining up to pay !

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paignton zoo

The other posters are right, although it's change over day, you do get day visitors too, I'd try to either buy online, or from Tourist Info Offices or get there soon after opening. You can also buy a dual ticket for the Zoo & Living Coasts in Torquay, which has sea birds, penguins and sea lions plus others and is worth going to.

Mentioned in this post
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
893 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paignton zoo

Increasingly, Friday is changeover day for many self catering cottages......

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paignton zoo

Remember to take a packed lunch with you (even if you just pick up some sarnies from Morrisons next door) as food at the zoo is very expensive.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paignton zoo

Great advice Treetops41!!

ATB,J.

Colchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paignton zoo

I went to Paignton Zoo last week and was disappointed. Many of the animals can't be seen as they "hide" in the cover provided. Lions and tigers have a lovely area for them, but viewing by the public depends on whether they (the animals) decide to go walkabout or not. I walked uphill a long way to the "elephant house" to find there was only one elephant. I thought they were herd animals. He looked very sad! The crocodile swamp was my biggest let-down. No "huge" crocs, just a couple of small ones that were hiding and couldn't be seen properly. The garial and dwarf croc in the reptile house weren't to be seen at all! Not many meercats and all juveniles.The miniature railway cost 80p and only went around the lake and not the zoo site. I came away weary from walking up all the hills and feeling I had not had value for money. Food and drink plentiful but expensive. Entry expensive too. My advice if you're going, take some binoculars and a fat wallet.

Mentioned in this post
Paignton
Paignton
English Riviera, UK
Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paignton zoo

Saddens me to say it but I agree with you, as I mentioned up thread I took someone visiting me a few weeks ago, I was quite embarrassed, it used to be a place I always took visitors to but not anymore.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paignton zoo

Sorry to hear about your experience , I hope the powers that be take note. My recent experience is pretty similar high emphasis on revenue, zero much else.

Colchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paignton zoo

Further to my above post, I will add that there was no male lion. Children expect to see a lion in a Lion enclosure that looks like a lion. A lone lioness is not what they expect a lion to look like.