We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Man to St. Bees

Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Man to St. Bees

We are headed to England in early May 2013 to hike the Coast-to-Coast walk (from Chicago). We want to go to the Isle of Man beforehand, but it seems like a logistical nightmare.

Is there an easy way to get to St. Bees -- where the hike begins -- after leaving the Isle of Man? Or do we have to go back to Liverpool, then catch a 7-hour train. Perhaps there are private boats from the Isle of Man that can take us directly to St. Bees -- or nearby -- and then we can catch a taxi or bus?

We'd really appreciate any feedback,

Thanks.

Ann

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

Hi Ann

The nearest Port to St. Bees is Whitehaven

There is no direct service from there to the IOM

You may be able to get a private boat from Ramsay or Douglas there are plenty of pleasure craft at that time of year

There are ferries from IOM to Heysham and then a train from Lancastet to Carlisle to Whitehaven

The IoM is a beautiful place but difficult to reach and sadly it has declined as a holiday destination

It's great that you are thinking of going and if you have a real desire to go then great

However you might be as we'll to fly into Manchester and have a few nights in the Zlake District

You can see IOM clearly from St Bees Head but many people in West Cumbria have never been to IOM got the reasons you describe

whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/johnpaulj…

http://www.steam-packet.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

Whoops Lake District

These are some charter boats based in IOM

Mostly they will be fishing boats but all the skippers will know each other so if one can't do it then they will almost certainly know someone who can

When I go out fishing they charge about 650 dollars for the day just to give you a rough, very rough guide

IOM to Whitehaven say four/ five hours? Then return.

http://www.charterboats-uk.co.uk/isleofman/

isleofman.com/directory/…

http://www.isleofman-fishing-charters.com/

Fly to Blackpool??

Then train to Carlisle then Whitehaven then St. Bees

Or from Preston up the West Coast passing through St. Bees

www.manx2.com/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/181002i…

manxflights.com/flights-from-blackpool-blk/i…

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

Hi Ann, I've just seen your private message to me and have replied. Just to clarify what Leuca suggests though - yes, there are fishermen who offer fishing trips and sightseeing trips around the Island, but I don't know of any that would take you to England (neither does my husband, who has worked in the Island harbours all of his working life and knows most of the fishermen!). Also, it's definitely not a journey I'd recommend on a fishing boat as even in May the Irish Sea can be very turbulent!

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

Yes - what you want to do is a logistic nightmare. Quite ironic as you can see the Isle of Man quite clearly from St Bees Head.

Do you have any flexibility in your visit date? The reason for asking is that during June the preserved vessel Balmoral usually does a couple of tourist trips from Whitehaven to Douglas and return. This is the timetable for the summer just passed (look at June 15/16)

www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/nwalesnweng.pdf

They seem to follow the same basic pattern each year, so hopefully the same for 2013.

Note that getting to St Bees is always slow. The train ride along the coast has stunning views (on a clear day) but it's a very slow "all around the houses" sort of train.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

< Or do we have to go back to Liverpool, then catch a 7-hour train. >

Don't know where yu get the 7 hour train from - it's normally about 4 hours from Liverpool to St Bees, from Heysham it's over 3 hours. You could fly to Blackpool from the IOM then train from there which would also be around 3 hours. You could also fly to Glasgow, take the airport bus to Glasgow Central then train from there which is around 4 hours

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

Hi Buddysmum

Thanks for your local knowledge.

It's a pity that there isn't a Direct link between the Lake District and IOM.

I posted the links to help the OPs original request.

I agree the crossing in a small boat would not be pleasant, and the cost would be prohibitive for most people too.

7. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 10:49
Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

Wow, thank you all so much! I really appreciate the help. I will research this with my travel partner and make some decisions in the next few days. I'll also let you know what we decide to do.

Again, many thanks. You're terrific.

Ann

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

If you have the time before you set off from St. Bees then spend a few hours in Whitehaven

It is not a touristy place but there is a lot of history and connection with the USA

George Washington' s Grandmother is buried in St. Nicholas' churchyard.

You might find this interesting

http://www.rumstory.co.uk/

Also the link I posted in an earlier post about John Paul Jones

It's a nice walk around the harbour , virws across the Solway Firth to Scotland and perhaps the IOM if its clear

and you can have a nice meal in Zest .

" May the road rise up to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,"

All the way to Robin Hood Bay

Good Luck

Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isle of Man to St. Bees

With all you help, we've arranged the following. We'll take a train to Heysham from the Manchester airport.

From there we pick up the Steampacket to Douglas, stay a few days and return to Heysham .

At that point we will catch the train from Heysham to Barrow -in-Furness and onto St. Bees. It looks, however, that that train does not run each day, so we may have to take the train from Heysham through Lancaster and Carlisle before arriving in St. Bees. That's a LONG travel day!

We are confused about what type of ticket to buy on the Steampacket. It looks like we pay about £72 for a one-way ticket, plus a £3 reservation fee. Is this accurate? There's also a £17 reservation fee, but that strikes me as being excessive for a 3.5 hour cruise. Any recommendations?

Does this itinerary make sense to you all? Your help has been invaluable. We were pretty overwhelmed by the options and needed some guidance!

Thx.

Ann