We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cumbria to Isle of Man

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Cumbria to Isle of Man

I'm in the Lake District (Keswick) for a week. Thinking about a trip to the Isle of Man. If I try do do a day trip, can you give me a few ideas? Closest ferry? Easiest way to see the island? (I'm seeing a lot of posts that the electric train is the way to go.) I'll go read some more of the forum, but appreciate your help very much in the meantime.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

Fly from Liverpool?

Ferry from Heysham or Birkenhead( Liverpool)

At least two to three hours from Keswick plus crossing time.

Although Whitehaven and Cumbrian coast is the nearest Enhland gets to IOM there is no direct link

So a day trip from Cumbria n my opinion is not feasible .

http://www.steam-packet.com/en/Timetables

London
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

From many places in the west of Cumbria you'll have really clear views of the IoM. However, there are no transport links between the two.

One tiny exception, there is usually a day excursion from Whitehaven by preserved ship Balmoral. One or two days per year.....

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

Well... that put a damper on things for sure. :( Rats. Thanks a bunch for the replies though.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

If you want to do something a bit different, then head west from Keswick for the coast.

Whitehaven whilst not touristy is interesting enough for an hour or two

There are some links with theGeorgian Town and the USA.

Whitehaven was one of the first towns to be laid out in a grid pattern , like your blocks.

It was the second busiest port in England after London and traded extensively with thevWest Indies and the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehaven

http://www.rumstory.co.uk/

It was an important enough port to receive an attack from the US Navy who came ashore in 1778 to destroy the shipping in the harbour.

whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/johnpaulj…

If it is a clear day you can stand on the West Pier and see the IOM and also there are great views across the Solway Firth to Scotland.

You can combine this trip by taking in a circular route via Cockermouth, itself a fine town, Whitehaven then return to Keswick via Loweswater, Buttermere.

A bit off the beaten track but an interesting day trip from Keswick.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 08:34
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

If you really wanted to come over to the Island for the day you could get the overnight boat - leaves Heysham at 0215 and gets into Douglas around 0545. Then you could get the evening boat back at 19.45 later that day which would get you back to Heysham at 2315. The day-trip offer prices are usually about £30 per person return.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

Hi Buddysmum

I saw that possibility and I might be tempted myself but didnt want to suggest it.

As it would mean being at Heysham for 0100 it would mean leaving Keswick before 2300

A full day on the island.

Then arriving back at Heysham at 2315 and then only getting back to Keswick at about two in the morning

It's akin to almost two nights without sleep.

But it's is a possibility and gives a full day on your beautiful island, its an option for our OP to consider.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

I will give that option some thought, but ... ya gotta REALLY want to get to the Isle to do that. LOL... I'm not sure I'm up for it (and I have some friends I want to visit while I'm in Keswick). Doing that would minimize my time visiting with them.

I've never visited any of the outlying islands (unless you include Ireland!). I just hoped it was doable this go round.

You are very kind to provide alternatives. I'm not going til May, so I have some time to think about it.

Merci!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

The Isle Of Man is very beautiful & certainly worth a visit,would be a shame to rush it though

9. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 12:28
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cumbria to Isle of Man

So different from years ago when the sailings were much more frequent,I used to do several day trips a year,great shame