We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Isle of Man

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the Isle of Man

Is it better to take the train from London to Liverpool and then the ferry or should we just fly? I think by the time we take the train, then the ferry it may be just as expensive as flying round trip out of London City Airport.

Lake District,UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

You need to look at rail and sail. Go to national rail journey planner and enter London (dep) Douglas (arr). Choose your dates and departure/arrival times. The irony is that at the moment they are not routing the journey via Liverpool but Heysham even when there are sailings from/to Liverpool. Choose Skyscanner for flights and enter London (any airports) arrive Isle of Man, again choose dates. Compare. Currently cheaper to fly (on dates I checked) but I have presumed no rail cards. Also depends where you live near London and where you are staying in IOM - good luck!

London
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

As well as BA from London City, there are also flights from Gatwick with easyjet and flybe.

More details on sail rail here:

www.seat61.com/Isle-of-Man.htm#.UW4_noy9KSM

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

Thanks! I have an apartment near the Tower so it would be quite easy to catch the DLR to London City Airport and fly BA. I didn't want to spend all that time getting to IOM especially since the cost doesn't warrent the train/ferry method.

Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

I live in London but am from the Isle of Man. Personally I would never even contemplating not flying from London. When a student with plenty of spare time and saving £20 was worth it then I sometimes thought about it but these days I wouldn't even compare between the two.

Peel, Isle Of Man
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

With EasyJet flying from London, I would definitely recommend flying! much less hassle, and probably cheaper too!

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

Tried and tested, London City is very convenient if you live near the DLR. Otherwise it is tube to Victoria, train to Gatwick.

Look up the different airlines, and do the maths.

Also LCY is far more easier airport than LGW, especially now that IOM passengers have to go thru the passport area for boarding pass checks upon arrival from IOM. (Long walk and Queues).

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

Also consider the sea state

Moderate seas are regular occurrences in the Irish Sea and can make for an uncomfortable crossing.

Rough seas and high winds can lead to delays and disruption even cancellation of crossings.

You are not guaranteed to get there as per the timetable.

Of course that can happen with flights but they are not as sensitive to the weather as a vessel on the sea

8. Re: Getting to the Isle of Man

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Man
Recent Conversations