We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

We are coming from Australia in 2015, my husband and I are bike enthusists...

which is better for us to attend the TT in may/june or the festival in aug/sept. Are there specific days that are best or essential?... I know this sounds very vague but just starting the planning.

Level Contributor
272 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

Hi

The TT is definitely the 'main' event so prioritise coming to that - for TT the racing starts on the Saturday (6th in 2015) and runs through to the Friday. Friday is the Senior Race Day but racing will be scheduled for the Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday with other days being held in reserve.

Does depend how much time you have available - but I'd probably suggest arriving in time for the Saturday racing and then stay for as long as your schedule allows. The following day is Mad Sunday which has a great festival atmosphere although to be honest the whole week has a great feel to it. Even on the days without racing there are tonnes of events on - for instance on the Tuesday you could head to Ramsey for the sprint races along the prom and the various displays, etc.

Good luck with the planning - hotels. etc. are already taking bookings (and in some case full) for TT 2014 so it does make sense to plan pretty far in advance!

australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

Thanks for your response. It has helped to clarify and we will come to the TT as first planned.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

We are just starting our planing. so we will need to wait for the 2015 year. if you dont mind please post a page of detils of your trip and things you would skip next time and wish you did for future travelers

thanks

Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

They both offer different things. If you have never been to either and you want to watch racing on the island go to the TT in June. No doubt about it. Dates above are correct allthough i go for practice week which is the week before. Its quieter and you see the same racers go round. And they arent messing about. Right from first night of practice the top boys are flat out. Get yourself an OS map, talk to folks when you get there and spend time finding a spot to stick your head out of a hedge row to watch them go past. Its what its all about. Words and videos will give you an idea but nothing can prepare you for what you are about to see. I promise you.

Its a small island with nothing on it. For that two weeks its packed to the rafters with bikes and bikers. Its a time to relax. Not do alot. Cook some meat on the barbi. Go for a tram ride along the coast. Watch bikes go by. Go watch two hours of racing. Then find a pub to have a few beers. Every year i go and leave my problems behind. Talk to other bikers and just relax. Its very enjoyable.

The TT has a real festival atmosphere. The manx attracts much fewer people and the racing is generally more classic bikes and independents. So guys putting bikes together in a shed and going racing. Its all great. But if your coming from aus you should go to the TT for the full festival feel and to watch john mcguiness or guy martin or michael dunlop go past you on superbike.

Thats a long winded way of saying go to the TT.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

<<<< We are just starting our planing. so we will need to wait for the 2015 year. if you dont mind please post a page of detils of your trip and things you would skip next time and wish you did for future travelers >>>>

2015 is the year the OP is planning to go as well.

Level Contributor
272 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

For the TT and accommodation (especially if you want a hotel) you can (almost) never be too early

If you're definitely coming I'd suggest booking accommodation sooner rather than later and definitely before this year's TT. Even if internet booking engines don't go that far ahead most hotels will book for TT if you contact them.

The number of effectively recurring bookings they get is immense. I know someone who runs a guesthouse and is effectively fully booked for TT going forward as all their guests return each year

The concept that there is 'nothing' else on the Island is misleading. For a first time visitor I'd suggest peel, Castletown and Laxey are must sees with very interesting parts (castles, museums and wheels!). The electric tram is a world away from the TT but incredibly scenic.

The island is very different during TT and has an atmosphere I've never found anywhere else in the world - enjoy!!

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

I also travelled from Aus to the TT (2013). The atmosphere was fantastic & plenty of time to see more than just the racing. Don't get me wrong, the racing is what drew me & I was not disappoint, it was well worth the 30+hrs of flights. The island also has lots of sightseeing opportunities, a different part of the island on each of the off days.

As previously mentioned, many of the folks re-book year after year. I stayed in Douglas, which I'd recommend for a 1st time TT traveller, very central.

If you can, but not a must because you can almost watch the race from anywhere on the route, but booking grandstand seats at the various viewing points, a different 1 for each of the race days would enhance a 1st time TT experience. Don't leave it till you get there or you'll more than likely be disappointed.

Book as much as you can as far in advance as you can.

Ps: Some of the guests at the Guest house I stayed in, have been re-booking for the last 13years. Ferry tickets for the weekends over the 2 week event are mostly sold out the day they are released, midway through race week.

If all works out to plans I'm going to try get out to the 2015 event as well and will start my planning in the next month or so, once airline bookings become available, but will get confirmation of accommodation before I book & pay for my airline ticket.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

Could you take kids with you or Is it not really any good for them? Our girls are 7 and 4 and very outdoorsy.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

Personally I wouldn't. I know people that do but racing can be pretty dull for them.

I know ours would have been bored by it

Liverpool
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is best to attend - the tt or festival?

I would definitely take children. Over the years I have taken my own children and more recently grandchildren. There is so much to do and see. Enjoy the organised chaos which is the paddock, walk around between races and you'll meet all the riders. Have a look at the bikes and spend a bit of cash on some TT memorabilia. Evenings at Douglas are fantastic with so many people and the super friendly Manx police. Away from the TT you can enjoy the island, eat fish and chips at Port Jack, have a walk around Peel Castle, Castletown and of course Laxey wheel. Take the kids they'll thank you for ever.