We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

Can anyone leave a review? I would like to know from current and past passengers how you find the service. If you would change anything about it, what would it be?

85 replies to this topic
north west england
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

Trip out last Friday from Liverpool was on time and was OK. A fairly rough sea left us feeling under the weather but not as bad as some other passengers. Return yesterday left early and, even then, made up time.

Couldnt fault it on those experiences.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

I understand last Saturday saw slow running on Manannan again,this time due to one of her four engines refusing to fire up,although the problem was later rectified it hardly inspires confidence in view of her past problems!

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

We are going on holiday next week for the Southern 100 racing, was hoping I would be less ill on Mannanan than I was on the Viking last time we went by ferry, wish we were flying really but bringing Bikes.

I grew up on small boats down in Dorset and was never ill, don't know why big boats make me sick :-/

What is it like on deck on Manannan? On the Viking it was a small area next to the smokers and a chimney vent for the kitchens with the smell of chip fat, not good when you wanted fresh air!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

The outside deck on Manannan is an area aft of the main bar,not very big,people are not allowed to smoke there so the air can be pretty fresh!

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to it now, a bit of fresh air helps sometimes even if it is a bit blowy!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

Provided she is not on a go slow again it does get pretty breezy at 30+ knots!

London
Level Contributor
254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

Oh dear, I was going to take the ferry from Liverpool in September but it looks like I should fly?

I'd be a foot passenger. If the Liverpool route is cancelled do they transfer you to the Heysham ferry?

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

An update to my postings,I have just returned from the Island,travelling both ways on Manannan to & from Liverpool,for the first time IME she actually ran properly in both directions,making the journey in about 2hrs 30mins each way,at 30+ knots walking around can be tricky as the rolling she is prone to do becomes that much sharper,also the outside area is pretty much useless as it is covered with spray so expect a soaking if you venture out!

They used to transfer people if the fastcraft sailing was cancelled,I'm not so sure if that still applies.

19. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 10:15

Douglas
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?

I travel regularly by Steam Packet and acknowledge that generally their service is ok and staff on board are really nice, but compared to the irish ferries, very pricey.

Eg I took advantage of a reduced offer to take a day trip to exchange a vehicle in the Uk- this was £142. Unfortunately I was unable to take the vehicle in the morning and was charged an additional £45 to travel as a foot passenger and then an additional £25+ in the evening on returning with a vehicle because my ticket was made into a single which was more expensive than the day return offer- something that the booking staff must have been aware about in the morning. My advice now is fly if you can- book flights well ahead and hire a car.

Reply to: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Douglas