We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus stops in Douglas

Which Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
859 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Bus stops in Douglas

I've got a few days on the island coming up in May and have hired a car for half of my stay, and will be taking the Electric Railway and the Steam Railway on the other 2 days, but buses are proving a little more difficult to figure out

I'll be dropping off the car at Ronaldsway and need to get back to my hotel on Mona Drive in Douglas. I've figured out I need to take either the 1 or the 11, but will both of these buses stop at all stops on the prom? The timetables state they'll stop at Queens Prom, Crescent Hotel and then Derby Castle, MER Station. I have no idea where the Crescent Hotel is in Douglas, but there's a stop at the bottom of Mona Dr that would be handy. So is the timetable only showing major stops, and the bus will stop - on request, presumably - or will I have a bit of a walk ahead of me?

I'll also probably need a bus from my hotel to the station for the Steam Train. Again the bus stop opposite the end of Mona Dr. on the prom isn't mentioned nor the one at the railway station, but even then, it also looks like no bus goes along the prom AND goes up by the station. Is that possible? It looks that the only buses that go along the prom terminate at the bus station?

I think I'm just confused by the maps on the gov.im site, so I need a bit of explanation.

6 replies to this topic
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus stops in Douglas

I don't really use the bus but as far as I know the buses go along the prom, wait at the Lord Street bus station for a few minutes and then carry on to the south via Lord street and Peel Road. Check it out on a street map and you will need to get off at the stop just before the Athol Street junction. There is a red brick facade to the entrance to the station topped with two golden domes. Steps from this lead you down to the railway ticket office. If you google images for Douglas railway station you will see what I mean - you can't really miss it. It is only a very short distance from Lord Street bus station, just a minute or so.

There are plenty of stops between the ones mentioned in the timetables, just ask the driver to let you know when you are there or ping the bell. The hotel will be able to let you know what the nearest stop is and what landmark to look out for. You could also take the horse drawn tram along the prom one day for a change.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
859 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus stops in Douglas

Wow, I'd forgotten about this post! Thanks IsleofManBuggane for the detailed response. Have they published yet when the horse trams will start this year?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus stops in Douglas

The horse tram dates haven't been published yet, just "mid-May to mid-September" so you may be lucky. They use different stops from the buses but some do coincide! Both are clearly marked. Remember that all bus stops on the Island are request stops. The Buggane is quite right about the services. There are many more stops along Douglas Prom than the timetabled ones. Buses 1, 2, 11 and 12 serve the prom, the railway station and the airport so they'll be the ones you'll use most. Do enjoy your visit!

Carrickfergus...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus stops in Douglas

It is possible to take the steam train from the airport to Douglas. Depending on your luggage of course, Ronaldsway halt is about 150 metres walk from the terminal. Steam trains will stop at the halt if you signal to the driver. A great way to arrive in Douglas.

Southern England
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus stops in Douglas

Glad to find this thread as I too am struggling to decipher the IOM bus timetables. Can anyone tell me if there is a bus that runs from the steam railway station in Douglas to the electric railway terminus at Derby Castle/Port Jack?

Glad also to find out about Ronaldsway Halt as I will be staying near the airport and thought the nearest stations were Castletown or Ballasalla. Does anyone know if it is possible to pick up Island Explorer tickets at the airport?

London
Level Contributor
81 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus stops in Douglas

Yes I got a 5 day explorer ticket at Ronaldsway airport last July cost was £18 i think. This is good value as single rides are pretty pricey. Buy at the tourist information desk near to the exit..

Reply to: Bus stops in Douglas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted