We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is whitley getting some regeneration?

London, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
is whitley getting some regeneration?

I visited both Tynemouth and Whitley Bay (I'm from London) this weekend and was shocked at the difference between them. The latter seemed to be buzzing and full of life with interesting shops and things to do, whereas Whitley Bay seemed practically deserted and very sad looking/closed shops/awful arcades. However it has a lovely lighthouse and clearly was once a great place to visit, with what looked like a closed-down pleasure beach/thing called the Spanish City. Come on local council spend money on this place! If people are visiting Tynemouth they shouldn't need too much encouragement to come up the road and spend there too, but it needs serious work.

5 replies to this topic
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is whitley getting some regeneration?

You must be too young to be a Dire Straits fan, otherwise you'd probably be familiar with Spanish City from their 'Tunnel of Love'. there have been various proposals to renovate / redevelop it since it closed around 2000. I believe a plan to renovate it with hotel, apartments, restaurant, etc was agreed a couple of years ago, but i seem to remember it running in to difficulties.

It looks as though the council have lined up another scheme as part of their redevelopment plan

www.northtyneside.gov.uk/browse.shtml…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is whitley getting some regeneration?

WB suffered from being a stag & hen destination so catered for the seedier side of things

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is whitley getting some regeneration?

Step away from the sea front and Whitley Bay has lots of nice residential areas. I'm actually considering moving there when I move back from Canada.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is whitley getting some regeneration?

The answer to your question is Yes - it is being regenerated - its just taking its time!

Park View has lots of lovely little independent shops and cafes, Whitley Bay has new parks and skatepark, new library and Tourist Information Centre, we have blue flag beaches and St Mary's Lighthouse. If you were here recently then you would see there is work starting around the Spanish City Dome, with a new plaza being made in front of it. The Playhouse was renovated a few years ago and always has acts and shows on.

I would agree Whitley Bay has changed in the 16 years I have been here, but hopefully it has reached the bottom a couple of yoars ago, and is climbing back up again.

Otis - I hope you enjoy living here as much as I do - I love being 5 minutes to the sea, 10 minutes to National Trust/English Heritage properties at Seaton Delaval Hall or Tynemouth Priory, 20 minutes to Newcastle, half an hour can take you up the coast or inland!

Lou73

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is whitley getting some regeneration?

Unfortunately it hasn't changed then since I went a few years ago. My lasting memory is the amount of flies near the lighthouse:-(

Reply to: is whitley getting some regeneration?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whitley Bay