We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitley bay park resorts

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whitley bay park resorts

Has any one been here? What time does the eating places on site close at

8 replies to this topic
polmont
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

theres is a restaurant on the ground floor which seems to be busy,not exactly sure what time its open to and suppose it will depend on time of season but a good guess would be at least 9pm

paisley
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

going to whitley bay park resorts 30th june for a Monday to Friday holiday with the wife and kids.

booked and paid for it on recommendation of a relative who said its a great town and destination for goathland , flamingoland , scarborough etc,

after a bit of google map and trip advisor search I have come to the conclusion I have been misinformed and the relative has got Whitby and whitley bay mixed up.( 2 hours apart)

so the town on google maps looks a bit like the land that time forgot. and im needing ideas for a couple of commutable days out worthwhile in the area upto around an hours drive each way from the park.

hopefully local knowledge out there will turn my 2 adult and 2 young children holiday into a bit more exiting time for a couple of day trips out of the park or am I limited to Newcastle town centre and metro centre?

any other hints or tips appreciated

thanks in advance

Robert

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

Oops re the geographical mix up.

You could take the kids to Segedunum play on the Long Sands, go to the Blue Reef aquarium, play putting visit Tynemouth Castle and Priory.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

If you have a car, look at these websites for some ideas - there is sure to be something that would appeal to you all within an hour's drive from Whitley Bay.

www.northumberland-coast.co.uk

www.visitnorthumberland.com

www.visitalnwick.org.uk

If you decide to go into Newcastle - Metro might be the simplest way to travel - you might enjoy a trip on the Tyne. See www.riverescapes.co.uk for more information. Booking may not be essential but it is advisable.

Tynemouth is, in my opinion, much nicer than Whitley Bay - it is smaller, more compact,with excellent beaches (the Long Sands and St.Edward's Bay) and the ruins of Tynemouth Priory on the headland overlooking the mouth of the Tyne. I believe there is also an aquarium and children's play park on the right as one drives along the front after passing through Cullercoats.

Whitley Bay was, once upon a time - in the 40s and 50s, even into the 60s - a thriving holiday resort with the Spanish City amusements, band concerts and shows on the Links.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

Tynemouth definitely, check out the market at the metro station at weekends.

Walk to St Marys's Lighthouse and along to Seaton Sluice and Holywell Dene.

visitnorthtyneside.com/visitor-information

Further afield there is Beamish, Alnmouth, Walkworth and this new attraction northumberlandia

http://www.northumberlandia.com/

Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

Plenty of places to go - Tynemouth, Cullercoats are no more than 15 mins and have great beaches, plenty of cafes and places to eat.

Northumberland venues include Craster, Beadnell, Alnwick, Amble, Seahouses and Bamburgh

Loads to do in Newcastle - The Keep, Great North Museum, Discovery Museum, Seven Stories - go to Newcastle Gateshead Initiative pages. Newcastle easily accessible from Whitley Bay on the Metro

Just some ideas to add to those you have had

paisley
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

thanks to all reply folks

checking out links just now

looks like it wont be as bleak as first thought

ta

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitley bay park resorts

If you are going into the town centre, there is a very reasonable Italian Sambucas, that does a 3.95 3 courses deal at lunchtimes (including Saturdays). Delavel Ices is a 20 minute walk from Park Resorts, but the Ice Cream is award winning and worth the walk (near the Dome).

I would agree Tynemouth is definitely worth a visit (2 stops on the Metro from Whitley Bay) In Newcastle itself, the Discovery Museum is free and my children really enjoy going (quite interactive, particularly the top floor). The Hancock Museum is smaller, but still worth a peek.

Bit further afield, the Beamish Museum is very good and pretty much would take up all the day.

On Whitley Road in Whitley Bay there are quite a few restaurants which are of good quality.

Really hope that helps.

(PS the beaches in Whitley Bay are lovely, depending on the age of your kids and the weather of course, still worth a visit)

Reply to: Whitley bay park resorts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whitley Bay