We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast self drive

Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
West coast self drive

We are planning a three week self drive for the first 3 weeks of July 2012. We needinfo on Where to stay, how long to stay, what to do, car hire advice. This is where we would like to go but ideas of good accomodation, activities, length of stay, there's are 4 adults traveling, and car hire is a problem we want something that will fit us all and luggage and maybe convertible? Please help

Kick off in Vegas 2-3 days- where to buy show tickets & accomodation ideas

Death valley - do we need to stay?

Yosemite park 3 days - accomodation

San francisco 5 -7 days- thought apartment or house would be good?

Santa Barbra or Carmel

LA

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast self drive

Hi,

we made this trip last year:

We rented a Mustang (HERTZ), conv. - best car :)

Yosemite: Evergreen Lodge (240 USD/night) - beautiful

DO not miss BODIE (ghost town) from Yosemite to LV, it was our biggest "adventure", very interesting.

LV: 2 days MORE than enough - Acc: Planet Hollywood, 100 USD/night (not weekend)

Santa Barbara was fabulous, unfor. (I don't know Carmel)

SFO (5 nights): this was our hotel: http://www.jdvhotels.com/tomo/

Sonoma, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast self drive

Awesome! There are a lot of great condo rentals just outside the south gate of Yosemite!

Carmel is incredible but the cost of hotels is quite a bit higher than monteray which is about 15 minutes away at most. Carmel is worth it though! So much quieter. Walk to the end of the main road and go to the fabulous beach. For a great steak try Oceanside. Do 17 mile drive as well. Try lunch at one of the golf courses. The whole area is famous for artichokes so eat them local if you get a chance.

If you are traveling on the coast a stop at Hearst Castle is a must. It is pure magic and the town, cambria, is lovely. Make sure you see the IMAX film before your tour. Totally worth it.

SF - my home town! If I were visiting I would stay in the fisherman's wharf area. Easy access to trollies, cable cars and ferries. No need for a car in SF unless you plan on doing day trips.

If you do a day trip than Sonoma is the best choice. Amazing wineries Benzinger, Gundlach Bunchu, Sebastiani and so on. Great plaza and food that is unreal. For about $30 you can get a day pass in to Sonoma Mission Inn spa. Most beautiful spa I have been to. The hot mineral water comes straight out of the ground below the hotel. It is rumored to have healing powers! If you want to splurge try Watsu massage which is Shiatzu in the water. Unreal and few places offer it.

Also just north of SF are some great hikes in the redwoods.

Too much to hen-peck on my iPad. Let me know if you want more info!

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast self drive

I am planning a family trip in June/July to West Coast USA. (2adults 2 kids - 10, 12yrs). WE have 18 days. I would say we would do a few days in LA. another 2 in Anaheim. 2 more in vegas. Is 12 days enough to do a RV self drive from VEgas to San Fran and back to LA.

What should we see on the way?

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast self drive

I am planning a family (2 adults 2 childen) holiday to west coast Usa in June/July. We have three weeks. After a couple of days in LA and a couple in Anaheim and a couple in Vegas we will have about 12 days left. Is that enough time to do a self drive RV trip from Vegas to San Fran and back to LA?

What are the must do's on the way?

5. Re: West coast self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:18