We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs in Sandown

Which Sandown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs in Sandown

Hi

I'm looking for a recommendation for a pub in Sandown to take a group of approx. 10-12 hikers, maybe more that are mostly 30 somethings. We don't really want anything too rowdy, more like a quiet pint and space to sit and chat but it must do food and a real ale helps as well. We'll be there for the mid summer weekend 20-22 June.

We'll then be heading southbound on the saturday and finishing up our walk (that bits sorted) in Shanklin so I'm looking for something similar there. It'll be midsummers day so I'm guessing we can walk back to our accommodation in Sandown at sunset.

Any advice anyone? We're avoiding the Walking Festival on purpose - more space for us!

Thanks in advance

13 replies to this topic
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs in Sandown

The Yarbridge Inn should suit you but it's not right in Sandown. It's midway between Brading and Sandown.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs in Sandown

Not a great pub town, head for something in the country. But if you must, the best that I found in a crawl a few years ago was "The Old Comical".

Shanklin is a little better but still very touristy. My favourite is therefore hard to find : "The Fishermans Cottage" on the beach below The Chine. Great place to finish a walk anyway.

Mike

Edited: 06 March 2014, 08:33
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,875 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs in Sandown

yes the Old Comical did real ale, it did appear on the TV programme Location,location on TV when the people chose to buy that pub, I think it may have change hands since, the cliff walk took a bit of a pounding a couple of years ago and one had to go out onto the main road just before Shanklin I don't know if that bit has been repaired since but there is a promenade going all the way back to Sandown

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs in Sandown

The OC has changed hands a few times since the tv programme and is now more of a lively young persons pub. I don't think it will fit your criteria at all.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs in Sandown

Fair enough. Any suggestions rawtalent ?

Mike

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs in Sandown

All the pubs in Sandown are of a similar ilk. I really do think the Yarbridge Inn is the best spot and may well be on the route of the OP anyway, as it's very near to Brading Downs. Other pubs in the SW area would be The Fighting Cocks Near Hale Common and The Pointers at Newchurch.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs in Sandown

Ok great thanks for the pointers. Much appreciated.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs in Sandown

Not Yarbridge . Average at best , far far better to be had elsewhere ---- But i guess it depends, if you like

bland uninspiring food it maybe fine ...

.each to their own.................

Edited: 07 March 2014, 15:56
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs in Sandown

Have you been recently? The reviews are very consistent

bembridge
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs in Sandown

The old comical has not changed hands since the tv programme. Is an all age pub with great garden and good beers .

Reply to: Pubs in Sandown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandown
Recent Conversations