We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What a dump!

Which Ilfracombe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
What a dump!

My wife and I visited Ilfracombe yesterday and were shocked by how tatty and down market the place was. The entire town has a distinct feel of being saturated by unemployment and benefit scroungers. I felt so disappointed and sad at how dilapidated the town looked and it had succumbed to cheap chain brands such as Subway, bargain booze and horribly tacky looking pubs like "Malboro" and a sports diner. What a shame! How have the town planners allowed such a beautiful fishing village to reach this state. The boxes of devonshire fudge look like they have been on the shelves in the same position for decades!! What a shame!

England
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: What a dump!

Bye the Bye

i checked Lake's whereabouts.

Last heard of at the Belgrove Hotel, London.

He didn't like it much.

To be fair, all his other reviews were positive.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What a dump!

Friends of mine went to Ilfracombe for a few days break last week and their photos on Facebook looked superb and they had a smashing time. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for but they just wanted to chill at the harbourside for a few days.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 16:13
Ilfracombe
3 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: What a dump!

Thank you jim - a voice of reason

Ilfracombe
3 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: What a dump!

Thank you jim - a voice of reason

Banbury, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: What a dump!

I think your comments are a bit harsh. I have just spent a week in Croyde Bay for the 5th year running and we visited Ilfracombe for the day for the first time. What a pleasant surprise. The harbour is great (not sure about Verity yet!) and good to see local fishing boats still active. We met some nice local people and found everyone to be friendly. Went out with a nice guy called Chopper on his fishing boat 'Crazy' for a few hours. He was happy to have a chat and tell a few stories. The high street is not great but this is not dislike to most high streets I see these days and we have three subways where I live! I have visited Nottingham a few times and lets put it this way, I locked my car doors and I wouldn't live there if the house was free!!!!!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: What a dump!

^^^ Vigwam

The OP ( Original post ) was made 3 and 1/2 years ago and the most recent post before yours was over a year ago. You have re-opened a thread which had thankfully fallen asleep until now. Not your fault. TA should have closed it months ago.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,419 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: What a dump!

Odd that it should be bought up because I have just returned after a really brilliant day at Ilfracombe.

It has so changed! Certainly on the coast, didn't make it into town this time.

There was so much to do, everything is brighter and better, so many smiling faces from the people dealing with customers and the locals so very helpful. It has really recovered from the effects of recession and blossomed into something better than is was before.

Sea food straight from the boats that morning served on the quay overlooking the sea, more boat trips of different types and to different places, a mini road train takes you around the town telling you the history, weddings on the beach (at the Tunnels Victorian beach) booked 5yrs in advance. and a theater.

I only managed the quayside, climb to the restored chapel where I heard about some unique history, a boat trip and swim before I had to come home so I'm off again on Monday to do a bit more. Also found a whole new aspect of the coast path with vineyards, secluded pub by the sea in a little cove and a place to watch the seals with fabulous views - but that's all for next month :-))

Truely a place to spend time.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: What a dump!

Have just got back from Devon and visited Ilfracombe, it was bright and clean even the seagulls were behaving themselves, should visit where I live some of the coastal towns are dire. Not sure about Verity but an amazing statue, one of the locals said if I liked her could I please take here home with me she was free to a good home, made me laugh! Have to say Devon looked spectacular and hope to visit again soon.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: What a dump!

I loved Ilfracombe

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: What a dump!

I hope that TA can find a way to close the original thread down which, as others have said, is 3 years old.

The heading of "What a dump" with 49 replies does not bode well for the town. Newcomers to this thread may not bother to trawl through all of the comments and overseas visitors may end up with a distorted view.

(I only read through to the end because I disagreed with the original comment.)

Get answers to your questions about Ilfracombe