We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants closing times ....

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants closing times ....

This is more of a rant ..... we recently stayed in Woolacombe and as per usual, visited Ilfracombe to eat. I love the place but why on earth do the restaurants close and turn people away at 9pm ?. I know people can come back at me and name some places that serve after this time but my observations are that most establishments finish at 9pm. The weather was great and the resort was busy so why don't owners extend their opening times and take advantage of the situation. Ilfracombe is trying to regenerate itself and this can be seen by all the improvements and refurbishments going on. In one particular establishment I saw 2 parties of 5/6 turned away at 8.50pm, I could not believe it and neither could they. Am I being to harsh or do I have a point ?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,808 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

I don't think you are being harsh but it's tough when we've had so much bad weather, low visitor numbers over the last 2 years and up until this wonderful hot spell started.

I am guessing that the staff are employed for certain hours and they haven't changed them to suit the circumstances. So many rules and regulations these days it could be to do with that.

When I worked in the tourist industry in the 70's you just asked the staff to stay on till you were done.

Did you ask why they were closing?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

I agree withSue, don't think you are being harsh but the recession followed by three appalling "summers" have left a lot of places on the brink of closing and only doing limited hours for staff.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

Yes, I did enquire and was told that this was the norm in the resort. I understand that that staff wages are a big consideration and no one should be expected to work for nothing. Its just a shame that owners did not seem prepared to go the extra mile when the situation presents itself. When we holiday abroad, we always eat late as this extends the day ... of course the weather plays a big part in this. All said and done we love this part of Devon and have stayed in Ilfracombe on numerous occasions, the town is slowly improving and I hope it continues to do so.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,808 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

Glad it hasn't put you off Warwickshire. I noticed today that in Woolacombe there is a variety of closing times for the eateries too.

Ilfracombe
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

We @ the terrace tapas & wine have a last table policy of 9.30pm except in July & August when it is 10pm (sometimes later if requested) - we alway advise customers to phone ahead & book to avoid disappointment & will open later sometimes on request.

Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

Many of the establishments are family run affairs and the chef at lunch most probably is the chef at night. To up the level of opening times requires a big jump not only in who is employed and when but also the amount of stock you carry that isn't frozen. To be open as a tearoom for instance 11-5 my wife bakes until after 10 at night and arrives before 8 in the morning.

So gawd knows the logistics of a restaurant. As a destination Ilfracombe is so weather reliant and bookings so last minute it is a fragile balance. Be gentle with our Restaurant owners -no one likes to turn money away.

7. Re: Restaurants closing times ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Ilfracombe